Using drdaqwith my engine dynomometer

Post any questions about our parallel port products
Jim Gollagher

Using drdaqwith my engine dynomometer

Post by Jim Gollagher »

Iam very new to picotech and drdaq.
I will briefly outline my ideas and if someone can give me some suggestions or perhaps put me in touch with someone who has done a similar project, I would be most greatfull.
The dyno I have is a water brake with analog guages reading rpm and horsepower, it has no facility for calculating weather correction or recording/playing back results.
To measure rpm I thought using 6 or so flying magnets mounting in the dynos aluminium coupling. creating a digital signal with a hall effect sensor or a magnet inductive pick-up. the signal would go to the voltage channel with the parameters set to frequency then configure the scale to be hz realitive to rpm rename the channel same.
to measure torque load from the strain guage already in use. The strain guagerequire a pricision voltage imput of 10 volts at no load 2 out put terminals have 5 volts, as load is applied the 2 output terminals have a voltage differencial. I thought perhaps a electronic device on these outputs to create an 0 to 5 volt liniar output . from here I would use one of drdaqs ext imput channels configure to dc voltage and scale it relitive to load.
How am I looking so far!
If this is concievable i would then use a calculation between these two channels with a (one the day)correction factor to create a horsepower readout and graphs etc.
I have already learned to configure,scale,rename and display channels as well as calculations between them .
my main needs are to the physical hooh up needs between my dyno and drdaq.
Thanks heaps to anyone who has a thought on my project.
Jim Gollagher

markspencer
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by markspencer »

Hi,

What you are proposing seems fine unfortunately I am unable to help with the elctronics equipment you would need.

Perhaps there is someone else on the forum who will be able to provide this detail.

Best regards,
Regards,

Mark Spencer

MartinP

Electronic hookup for Dynamometer

Post by MartinP »

I build custom systems for dynos. Contact me directly at mpomeroy@intekom.co.za

Martin Pomeroy
Johannesburg
South Africa

MartinP

Electronic hookup for Dynamometer