Question about block mode

Post any questions you may have about our current range of oscilloscopes
Zuccj
User
User

Question about block mode

Post by Zuccj »

I'm currently looking around different options, and have a question regarding block mode. Lets say I get the 3406D, which has a memory of 512MS. Now does this mean that I could sample 4 channels at 10 nanoseconds per sample for 1 second, and have it be continuous data? For 1 second at 10 nanoseconds that would give 100,000,000 samples per channel and a total of 400,000,000 samples. Seeing as how that is below the 512MS memory I'd imagine it would all be one continuous block correct? Timing is important for what I'm looking into, and so want to ensure it wouldn't have to stop a block and start a new one.

bennog
Advanced User
Advanced User

Re: Question about block mode

Post by bennog »

This is possible ..... but, between the blocs is a considerable amount of time you don't sample anything.
So if the timing is to be done in this single block you can do this (single trigger)
After that you need about 10 - 40 seconds to get the 800MB of data from the scope to your PC.
Before you can start capturing the next block of data.

You can also leave the data in the scope and examine it with pico software directly after the block is sampled.
However you can not sample the next block then, when you start sampling the next block the scope memory is reused and you can not examine the old data.

it helps if you explain what you are trying to capture.

Benno

Martyn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Question about block mode

Post by Martyn »

Exactly how many samples you can collect, and at what sampling interval, will depend upon the scope, and if you are using your own software or the PicoScope 6 application.

A 3406D has sampling intervals of 1,2,4,8,16 .... nanoseconds, and a memory of 512MS. With the PicoScope application you can request 1 second of data across the screen in a single block and the options you would get with four channels enabled are

125MS collected on each channel at 8ns, or 62.5MS at 16ns

If you would like a more detailed discussion about the choice of scope for your application, please email support@picotech.com
Martyn
Technical Support Manager