Device not recognized on PC boot

Post any questions you may have about our current range of oscilloscopes
DavidH

Device not recognized on PC boot

Post by DavidH »

Greetings people,

In my application, my PicoScope 6404C is permanently connected to my PC.

If I connect the scope when the machine booted, it works fine, as confirmed by using PicoScope software. The device is listed under "Pico Technology Instruments" as "PicoScope 6000 Series PC Oscilloscope".

But when I reboot the machine with the PicoScope plugged, two observations can be made:
1. The PC takes noticeably more time to boot, and the (USB) keyboard and mouse are frozen for a few seconds before reacting again.
2. When logged on, the device is marked as "Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor Request Failed)".

The blue LED in front is lit up.

The only way I found to get the scope back in is to unplug and replug the USB cable or the power cable. Then the device is again listed under "Pico Technology Instruments" and PicoScope software works fine.

I tried 3 different PCs (2 with Windows 10 and 1 with Windows 7, all 64-bit);
Two 6404C units;
I tried both USB 3 and 2 ports;
I used blue Pico Tech 3.0 cables (2 different units);
all with the same results.

I also tried to deactivate power management options, among other settings, to no avail.

Installation package used: PicoScope6_r6_12_9
Drivers: 2.0.8.1

My application cannot be replugged on each reboot, as it is not always physically reachable, so I would appreciate any help here.

Thank you!

Hitesh

Re: Device not recognized on PC boot

Post by Hitesh »

Hi DavidH,

Which USB chipsets are you using, and are the drivers for those up-to-date?

Regards,

DavidH

Post by DavidH »

Hello Hitesh,
Thank you for your reply.

I have an Intel(R) USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller, and it is up to date.

Note, recently I found that disabling "Authorize the computer to shut down this device to save power" (approximative translation) in the driver's power management tab seems to help significantly, but the problem still happens often enough.

Thanks again!

Regards,
David

DavidH

Post by DavidH »

Hi,
Additional note.
More specifically, here are the chipset, vendor and device IDs for the 3 machines with which I experienced the problem.
PC1: Intel(R) USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller: VEN_8086 and DEV_A12F
PC2: ASMedia XHCI: VEN_1B21 and DEV_1042
PC3: Intel 8 Series / C220 Series chipset: VEN_8086 and DEV_8C31

As mentioned ealier, all of them showed the same behaviour of not detecting the PicoScope at boot when previously plugged.

Thanks!

Hitesh

Post by Hitesh »

Hi David,

Thank you for the additional information.

I've run some tests here and have reported a Hardware issue. It could be related to the fact that the PicoScope 6000 Series require an external power supply as well, as I have not seen this issue with a USB 3.0 PicoScope 3000 Series device that I tested with.

I have created a support ticket for you - please do respond to confirm receipt.

Regards,

dehangu2710

Post by dehangu2710 »

Hello,

I encountered the same issue with a picoscope 6000. I was using a Picoscope 4000 and had to reboot the pc . It was working fine. Now that I am using the Picoscope 6000, when the computer reboots, it can't find the device, and I don't see it plug when I check.

Did you find any solutions for that problem ?

Thank you,

DEHAN Guillaume