Pressure transducers powered by Picoscope 4444 ?

Post discussions on projects you are working on
nurber
Active User
Active User

Pressure transducers powered by Picoscope 4444 ?

Post by nurber »

Hi Forum. I'd like to take advantage of the built-in power supply of this scope to power transducers for a pressure application. There seem to be lots of inexpensive transducers ( e.g. Honeywell PX3 ) whose supply is 5VDC with ratiometric output. I should have some DSUB solid contacts for crimping ( i.e. indent crimping ) and the sensors seem to have a slew of connector options ( e.g. Delphi, Deutsch...). Is there anything I need to consider in utilizing these transducers ? Any Picoscope documents on D9 pinouts and suggestions for ensuring the building of a good D9 ?

Sven

bennog
Advanced User
Advanced User

Re: Pressure transducers powered by Picoscope 4444 ?

Post by bennog »

The power output of the DB9 is normally off and only on if an active probe is connected.

The type of probe is detected by a resistor between pin 3 - 4

the 5.5V output on pin 5 is only on for a TA300 (620 ohm between 3-4)

Benno

nurber
Active User
Active User

Post by nurber »

Thanks for info Benno. Would be nice if Picoscope exposed this PicoConnect ( correct term ? ) stuff including it's control with API so people can create custom/sensors and embedded apps. I'm considering using this scope as the basis for a guided test platform for a particular industry. I think it is perfect for this use particular with the available API. But good power output for sensors and it's programmability is the other key. Of course, it could be perceived as lost revenue if you are the only one making sensors, but the world of Arduino, Raspberry Pi, etc. etc. has shown otherwise.

Hitesh

Post by Hitesh »

Hi nurber,

Could you please e-mail support@picotech.com and we can discuss this further?

Thanks,

zacek

Post by zacek »

Hi Benno,
can you please post more information about this 5,5V supply from pin 5?
Is it related to pin 6 -gnd? How much current can this supply for external amplifier, and is it shared between all channels or each channel have separate source?
Also is not so clear when it is necessary to connect external power supply to scope but it is probably safe to connect it all time.
Thank you in advance
Zacek

bennog
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by bennog »

You should ask picoscope this. I only figured out the resistor values and which of these put the output power on.
The scope sets the probe type to what is detected by the resistor. (in this case current 100mv/A i think)

Benno

zacek

Post by zacek »

Thank you for reply, I will try it.
Zacek