Use of Macs

Which product is right for your exact requirements
John Brown

Use of Macs

Post by John Brown »

Can your dataloggers and related software also be used on iMacs?

Michael
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by Michael »

Hello,

We currently do not support Macs with our software and drivers.

Do you have a spoecific application in mind?

Best regards,
Michael
Michael - Tech Support
Pico Technology
Web Support Forum

John Brown

Post by John Brown »

We would be interested in using temperature and humidity sensors to control laboratory conditions

Also we would like to record and analyse data from tensometer load cells

Maybe the new intel based macs could be used?

We do have Virtual PC on some of our Macs - would your software work with this?

Knut Mehr

Intel-based Macs

Post by Knut Mehr »

Hi, are there any updates on the Mac compatibility?
In particular, I would be interested to see if the Windows version could run in a virtual machine on an Intel-based Mac (Parallels, running XP), as this would address this issue at least for me. I would be interested in evaluating this option.

rogerd
Active User
Active User

Intel-based Macs

Post by rogerd »

I haven't tried Parallels on a Mac, but the Apple Boot Camp Beta 1.1.2 works very well, and it is a free download from Apple. Also, Apple says it will support Boot Camp in Leopard, the next operating system.

There is no intervening software between the XP operating system and the cpu with Boot Camp. To switch back to an Apple OS, Boot Camp inserts the usual startup plugin in XP, and the XP operating system is shown as an option in startup preferences when running the Mac OS. You can drag a text file from the XP partition (32GB or less) to a Mac partition and open it with Text Edit. Wireless mouse and keyboard will work in XP. Ethernet and wireless connections to the internet work in XP the same as in a Mac OS. I have measured continuous transfers in XP from an external hard drive (Maxtor One Touch) to the USB port at 20MB/s. I have downloaded the picoscope demo and tested it in XP Pro, but I haven't tried an actual Picoscope with a USB port. I'm waiting for more information from Picotech before I buy.

If you try Boot Camp, be sure and download the intructions and print them out and read them before installing XP SP2 (service pack 2). If you are using a wireless mouse and keyboard, you should also read "Boot Camp Beta 1.0.2: Using the Apple Bluetooth Wireless Keyboard."

Sarah

Post by Sarah »

Hi

I believe some customers have tried using Macs with Virtual PC and had some success, however I have also heard of others who failed to get it to work. I'm not a Mac expert so do not know what the difference was in these cases however you are welcome to try. We have a 14 day money-back policy so you have 2 weeks to try it after purchase if you wish.

Best Regards

gerickson
User
User

Post by gerickson »

The PicoTech software and hardware works flawlessly with Intel-based Macs so long as you are running Windows XP on top of the hardware directly using Apple's Boot Camp 1.1.2 (or, eventually, Leopard). See the following thread: However, I have been unable to get the configuration to work when running Windows XP SP2 against any color of Paralllels at present (though it may eventually work through effort on Parallel's or PicoTech's part).