Test and Measurement Forum

Problem with ADC100 switching from LPT1 to USB adapter

Having problems ? let us know the details here

Problem with ADC100 switching from LPT1 to USB adapter

Postby Guest (New User) » Tue Nov 07, 2006 4:01 am


I have an excel spreadsheet designed to log data from an ADC100. This was working fine using the LPT1 port. I'm now trying to convert it to use USB adapter and I can't get it to connect to the ADC100.

When I run the adc100_get_unit_info command it returns a driver version of "ADC100/101 USB Driver V2.11" and then fails with "USB-PP1 not opened". But the PicoLog software returns "ADC100/101 USB Driver V3.0" (when port status is requested) and works fine, returning data traces for both channels.

If I run the ADC10032.xls spreadsheet from the Examples folder (installed as a subfolder of the Pico Full folder) then it gives me the same result as my own spreadsheet - driver version of "ADC100/101 USB Driver V2.11" and fails with "USB-PP1 not opened" on the next row. I've also tried accessing the ADC100 from C++ (fails with exactly the same results).

I'm 99.9% sure the code is correct (I haven't changed anything except the port number, from 1 to 101). Is this driver version the source of my problem? I've tried reinstalling the software for the CD. Can you suggest anything I can try? How can I force the V3.0 USB driver to be used?

Thanks for your help

Guest (New User)

Postby Michael » Tue Nov 07, 2006 9:07 am


Can you try port numbers 101, 102, 103 and 104? Your driver may be listing the adapter as a different port number.

Please let me know how you get on.

Best regards,
Michael - Tech Support
Pico Technology
Web Support Forum
Zen Master
Zen Master
Posts: 656
Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2005 12:41 pm
Location: St Neots, Cambridgeshire

ADC100, LPT1 to USB

Postby Mark (Guest) » Tue Nov 07, 2006 9:52 am

Hi Michael

Thanks for taking the time to look at this. I'll certainly try the other port numbers, but why would the driver be listing a different port number? Does the PicoLog software try different port numbers automatically? PicoLog seems to connect to the ADC100 very quickly and start logging data, but it takes 10 seconds or more for the Excel (VBA) ..get_unit command to complete (and report failure). Is the PicoLog doing something different? Does it use 'built-in' calls to the ADC100 or does it also use ADC10032.dll?

I'll try your suggestion when I get to work tomorrow and let you know the outcome.

Thanks again

Mark (Guest)

Update .....

Postby Mark (Guest) » Tue Nov 07, 2006 7:39 pm

Hi Michael

I have tried various other port numbers as you suggested (101 through to 110). All failed with the same reponse. This is the output from the ADC10032.xls example in 'Pico Full' the installation folder:

ADC not opened
ADC100/101 USB Driver V2.11
USB-PP1 not opened
No adapter

This is the same result for all the port numbers I tried. However, if I use any port number other than 101 (i.e. 102 upwards), the response is immediate - the above diagnostics are displayed in less than a second. If I use port 101, the program freezes with an hourglass (on the adc100_open command) for abour 25 seconds before displaying the above diagnostics. So the software definitely 'finds' something on port 101, but then fails at some lower level. I still think the problem is the USB driver V2.11. PicoLog talks to the ADC100 fine but it tells me it is using USB driver V3.


Mark (Guest)

Problem solved by using 'alternative' ADC10032.dll

Postby Mark (Guest) » Wed Nov 08, 2006 2:50 am

For the benefit of other users, here's the resolution to my problem:

After the installation of the PicoLog software and drivers I found two versions of ADC10032.dll on my laptop. One was in C:\windows\system32 and the other was in the "C:\program files\Pico Technology\Pico Full" application folder. Comparing the two files showed that the one in the system32 folder was newer (by several months) than the one in the application folder.

Running PicoLog and then scanning the loaded modules (using process viewer) showed that PicoLog was using the older dll from the application folder. The application I wrote was naturally using the version in the system32 folder (as is common practice). Anyway, the conclusion was that neither my application, nor PicoLog would run with the newer dll in the system32 folder, whereas both run fine with the older dll. The Excel example also works with the older dll but not the new one.

Mark (Guest)

Return to Getting Started

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests