using ps3000.vi

Post your LabVIEW discussions here
yvo
User
User

using ps3000.vi

Post by yvo »

Hi
I have connected my picoscope 3224 using picoscope and can collect data fine.

However, i want to use labview and I've tried to use the example vi's that came with the scope and I'm having some trouble.

If i run open_unit.vi it returns a handle value of either 0 or 1.
but If i run setup_data_collection.vi it gets stuck in the 3rd frame with aiting for the device to be ready.

What should the handler return be?

How do i establish if the device is communicating with my PC and is this done via the USB port or do i need an extra converter plug??

Cheers
Yvo

Michael
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by Michael »

Hello,

Thank you for your post.

You follow the order of these events to access the ps3000. The same applies with all programming languages.

Open the unit, this will return 0 if unsuccessful or 1, 2 or 3 etc if successful. This handle can be used to address all the other functions required.

Set channels.
Set trigger.
Get and set timebase.
Run acquisition.
Check for ready.
Stop sampling
Return sample array.
Close unit.

Please give this a try and let me know how you get on.

Best regards,
Michael
Michael - Tech Support
Pico Technology
Web Support Forum

yvo
User
User

Post by yvo »

Thanks for your help.
I'm starting to make some progress.

I have managed to run open_unit.vi and its returns a handle of 1.
then if i run set_channel.vi with that handle i get a numeric of 1.

I'm still confused as to what the settings for channnel A etc should be.
Is is correct that I should set channel A enabled to 0 to enable it and simmilarly for the DC value?
also how does the range settings work?

Regardles of what values I put in it always returns a numeric of 1 if the handle is 1.

And ps3000.vi still does not seem to be working, I've tried playing around with the values but nothing seems to work.

cheers
Yvo

Michael
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by Michael »

Hello,

Thank you for your post.

Good work so far. Handle=1 and set_channel=1 is success! YOu will need to set the channel with the following parameters:

Channel: A=0 or B=1 etc
Enabled: false=0 True=1
DC Coupled: false=0 True=1
Range: from 1-10 unit dependant. YOu can find this in the manual.

I have attached the PS3000 manual PDF to this post. YOu will need to post a reply and scroll down the window to see the attachment.

If you post a simple list of your requirements, I will assemble a small VI with the fucntions you need to call to get data. This should help you get started.

Best regards,
Michael
Attachments
PS3000044.pdf
(432.29 KiB) Downloaded 2697 times
Michael - Tech Support
Pico Technology
Web Support Forum

yvo
User
User

Post by yvo »

Michael,
thanks for your reply,

Ideally I would like to be able to run my collection at similar settings to the picolog, where I used to collect a fast stream of data every minute. I used the following settings: collecting 26000 points every 10 us, for channel A +- 5V AC, for channel B +- 500 mv DC, and triggering of channel B at 315 mV Rising.

To test ps3000.vi I have setup a simple 10 Hz, +- 100 mV sine wave going into channel A and have used the following in set_channel handle 1, channel A enabled 1, channel A DC 0, channel A range 3. this returns a numeric of 1.

I had a look at the block diagram of of ps3000.vi and when I step through noticed that it gets stuck at the loop inside 0,Default, there is a case structure that seems to have both cases empty. The pink line going to the case is a string of either 0.0 or last time 2,9,0,0 and the blue line is 1. Is this designed to be like that?

Cheers
Yvo

yvo
User
User

Post by yvo »

Well ive managed to make a fair amount of progress.

I can now get the ps3000.vi to work, i had to change a few of the subfunctions which were calling ps2000 vi's.

and i put in a few indicators to help

also i figured out that enab light is a switch (i thought it was an indicator)
also i need to press stop while its running or it cant restart.

However i am still having trouble with the graphs. I have noticed that the x/y going to the graph, the x value is always zero. so its always plotting at the first point in the graph. also the loop to collect data never seems to finish. I'm not sure where the x=0 is supposed to increment, i would have thought with the counter to indicate the loop number, but i cant find any connections.

Yvo

scottj
Active User
Active User

reply to see attachment

Post by scottj »

I'd like to see the ps3000 manual as well, so I'm hoping this post will allow me to do that, as mentioned above.

pt

Do the PS3000 drivers work for the 3423?

Post by pt »

Question, do the labview drivers (ps3000) also work for the PicoScope 3423 (automotive type)?

Thanks

gruntman
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by gruntman »

pt,

The automotive series of scopes are incompatible with the generic 3000 series labview drivers.

Regards,

Richard Boyd
Crag Technologies, Inc
http://www.pc-oscilloscopes.com

nawawi

Re: using ps3000.vi

Post by nawawi »

i still have a problem to used ps3000.vi. The graph is still not display a signal. Hope somebody can help me.
ps3000.JPG
(160.71 KiB) Downloaded 10 times

gruntman
Advanced User
Advanced User

Re: using ps3000.vi

Post by gruntman »

nawawi,

Step through the functions one at a time and see where the program is stopping at.

If you are using custom .vi's it would be beneficial if you upload your .vi's so I can look at them to see the issue, simply zip them and upload to the forum...

Regards,

Richard Boyd
Crag Technologies, Inc
http://www.pc-oscilloscopes.com