2000B vs. 3000

Which product is right for your exact requirements
dnoyeb
Active User
Active User

2000B vs. 3000

Post by dnoyeb »

I'm new to Picoscope and have been reviewing all of the stats for the last month or so. I'm a computer guy so mostly the MSO are the models I will use. I don't see a significant difference between the capabilities of the 3000 series vs the 2000B series. The 3000 seem to have double the memory for the same Bandwidth. But as a computer guy bandwidth doesn't matter much to me. I'll mostly do digital protocol capture and a max of 2MHz signal. I do some digital signal generation requiring me to connect 3 of these to get 3 signals in sync. I think this is possible.

But there is something suspicious. The 2000B can stream at 9.6MS/s while the 3000 can at 10MS/s using Pico6. But with the SDK 200B can stream 31MS/s while the 3000 can stream 125MS/s. That seems like a huge improvement for the 3000 that perhaps hasn't made it into the Pico6 software yet? Is this the case? Do you ever see the pico6 software holding more than 100MS like maybe 1GS?

I don't want to purchase a 2000B series scope only to find 6 months from now the 3000 series gets a huge streaming update in the pico6 software.

Thanks!

Hitesh

Re: 2000B vs. 3000

Post by Hitesh »

Hi dnoyeb,

The PicoScope 3000 Series products are USB 3.0 products and are capable of up to almost 18 MS/s (shared between all channels) in streaming mode when using the PicoScope 6 software. The limits are there in order to help preserve PC resources but this could change in future as PC performance has improved.

If you are using the Software Development Kit, then you can potentially achieve the maximum speeds depending on PC/application overheads.

Regards,

dnoyeb
Active User
Active User

Post by dnoyeb »

Thanks Hitesh!

I've also learned that the 3000 series offers;

Can power externally and not through USB.
EXT trigger input.(non-MSO units)
Some MSO units have 4 channels.

Hitesh

Post by Hitesh »

Hi dnoyeb,

Just to clarify on
Can power externally and not through USB.
The PicoScope would still require a USB connection to the PC in order for it to operate.

Regards,