adding new formats to serial decoding

Post any questions you may have about our current range of oscilloscopes
xcvii

adding new formats to serial decoding

Post by xcvii »

I was debugging an infrared remote related project with my 2204A and kept wondering if it was possible to have the PicoScope software decode the IR signal for me. I realise it does not support this particular protocol (not that I expected it to, given how numerous IR protocols are), but it is possible for me to define a new format?

Thanks

Martyn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: adding new formats to serial decoding

Post by Martyn »

There is currently no method for customers to define protocols.

If you email support@picotech.com with details of your specific request, and a sample data file, then we can add it to the wish list.
Martyn
Technical Support Manager

xcvii

Post by xcvii »

Thanks for the answer!

To be perfectly honest, I don't think it's worth adding it officially -- it seems to me that there is an abundance of different protocols these IR remotes use, so this particular one is in no way standard and would be of very limited use to others most likely.

If you do take feature requests, though, I realise this is a long shot, but support for user-implemented protocol plugins would be fantastic (:

Actually, what is the format PicoScope uses for those data files? Would I be able to easily process one of those?

Cheers

Martyn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Martyn »

It is not currently structured to permit custom decoding.

We did have a look at implementing this a few years ago, and it was immediately evident that the support required would outweigh the benefits. We therefore removed the feature and have focussed on adding the protocols ourselves.
Martyn
Technical Support Manager

bennog
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by bennog »

xcvii wrote: Actually, what is the format PicoScope uses for those data files? Would I be able to easily process one of those?
You can export tot SCV or Matlab.

And if you are very skilled you can try to reverse engineer the .psdata format.

Benno

jdemeyer

Post by jdemeyer »

Hello,

If we cannot do custom decoding, can BACnet MS/TP (on RS485) be added to the list of supported protocols ?

Thank you !