Test and Measurement Forum

Choose PicoScope for Arduino / RC hobbyist

Which product is right for your exact requirements

Choose PicoScope for Arduino / RC hobbyist

Postby zoejif » Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:07 pm

Hello,

I'm looking for an advice which PicoScope product to choose for RC / multicopter building.
I should be able to:
1) Measure PWM/PPM cycle + detect noise and deviations
2) Decode I2C, SPI protocols from arduino sensors.
3) Troubleshoot ESC / brushless motor response
4) Detect oscillation of basic electronic components (e.g. voltage stabilizers)

A really nice bonus would be to be able to integrate with / import data to Matlab for extra analysis.

What would be most affordable option that matches these criteria?

Thank you very much in advance for any suggestions.
zoejif

Re: Choose PicoScope for Arduino / RC hobbyist

Postby Martyn » Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:47 pm

You probably need to work out what the fastest signal is, and then look for a scope that has 5 times this for the bandwidth. I would suggest checking this out and then emailing support@picotech.com for further assistance in selecting the correct scope.

For information :-

Serial decoding is performed in the software, and is available across the full range of scopes.

Duty cycle is available as a maths channel, so you can plot this for a given capture.

Direct control from Matlab is available, please see the MathWorks Website
Martyn
Technical Support Manager
Martyn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby clarks » Mon May 08, 2017 9:30 pm

I have a similar interest. Did you pick a scope? I am leaning toward a 2205A MSO.
clarks

Postby alank2 » Sat May 13, 2017 2:22 am

They get better and better as the price goes up, but most things are like that. My favorite sweet spot picks are:

2205A without probes - I wouldn't go less than this, you get 200 MSa/s and 25 MHz which isn't too bad for most projects.

2206B is better as it has 500 MSa/s, 50 MHz, but more importantly 32M sample memory. It also gets a lot of features that the A series lacks and is well worth the price difference from the 2205A if you can swing it.

I have a 2207B because I wanted the 1 GSa/s sample rate. While Pico rates it for 70 MHz, it's bandwidth actually tests much better.

If you have to have 4 channels, and I quickly miss them if I don't have them, the 2406B is a sweet spot because it also offers the 1GSa/s sample rate with 4 channels for not a whole lot more than the 2207B. If I could only choose one, I'd probably go with the 2406B. I ended up getting a 2407B and its tests as well as the 2207B I have.

Good luck!!!
alank2
User
User

Return to Pre-Sales Advice