Picolog ADC-11

Forum for discussing PicoLog
jlaurent

Picolog ADC-11

Post by jlaurent »

I used ADC11 picolog since several year with success.
Now, I try to use it on new 64bits computer.
Please, could you say me where I can find the 64bits driver?

Regards,

JL

Hitesh

Re: Picolog ADC-11

Post by Hitesh »

Hi JL,

Unfortunately, none of our parallel port products are compatible with 64-bit operating systems.

You will need to use a 32-bit operating system, and if you do not have the PP196 Pico Parallel Port adaptor, will need to use a suitable PCI, PCI express & Cardbus (PCMCIA) parallel port cards that provide an LPT port in the devices list. A card which just provides USB printing support only will not work. One way of checking this is that the correct type of adapter card requires a driver provided by the manufacturer whereas the wrong type does not and installs using a generic Windows driver.

Please find below examples from one manufacturer we have tested in the past:

For desktops with PCI card slots:-
http://www.delock.com/produkte/gruppen/ ... 89015.html

For desktops with PCI Express card slots:-
http://www.delock.com/produkte/gruppen/ ... 89219.html

For laptops with an Express card slot:-
http://www.delock.com/produkte/gruppen/ ... 66220.html

For laptops with a PCMCIA card slot:-
http://www.delock.com/produkte/gruppen/ ... 61612.html

Please note that Pico Technology is not responsible for the content of third party sites.

Hope this helps,

Hitesh

jlaurent

Post by jlaurent »

Hi Hitesh,

Perhaps I can try to compile a new .dll for 64 bits or by a new mex file ?

Regards,

JL

Hitesh

Post by Hitesh »

Hi JL,

Unfortunately, this will not be possible.

You will need to use a dedicated 32-bit operating system (a virtual machine on a 64-bit PC will not work).

Regards,

akarafi

Post by akarafi »

This is an unacceptable answer coming from a company that promises support for their product for life. I get it you are unable to get this mysterious part (there is no such thing, any electronic component can be made and can be found in the market no matter how old it is). nevermind about manufacturing new parallel port converters, what about all the customers that already own one, it is not that hard to come up with an updated version of the driver that works on new windows platform. you can tell those who does not know about computer programming capabilities, that a driver can not work on a newer machine, but it is certainly possible to write a new code to update the driver so that all the parallel converters work on newer machines and that solves the problem. all these customers issues is not buying a parallel port converter, their issues is to get it to work on windows 7 and higher. taking a little time to produce drivers that is compatible with every operating system out there is well worth the effort to maintain the customer's loyalty, should they want to upgrade their Pico to a newer Scope they will have no doubt doing so, because they know that Pico got the required support any time.
I have a ADC-212 that I'm trying to get it to work with my laptop, and doing my research. the solution is not for me to get a different old laptop, but rather for the company to come up with an updated driver and post it on the website for the customers to download, if my efforts does not lead to this Pico converter to work I will have no other choice but to throw the Pico and its converter in the trash and buy a new scope that is certainly not made by Pico.

Martyn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Martyn »

The ADC-212 was first produced in 1998, and even with such an old design there are still a few customers out there using them, who have also managed to maintain a compatible PC system. However if these units develop hardware faults, although it may be possible for us to find the required replacement parts, the cost involved would often put the repair beyond acceptable economic levels, and in these cases we will work with these customers to find an appropriate upgrade path. The software development work required to create and test drivers to support the ever evolving world of Microsoft, whilst technically possible, is not practical and would prevent us from adding new features to the software that are available for free to all users provided the device was physically capable of supporting the feature.

For this reason we consider that a 20 year life span for an electronic design is quite reasonable, particularly in the modern throw away society. That said, we do try to help customers, so please contact the team at support@picotech.com and we will will work through the possible options for you.
Martyn
Technical Support Manager

mrdjh

Post by mrdjh »

Hello,

Do you know if this same configuration (an ADC11/12 card and a PP196 adapter) is Windows 10 compatible?

Regards

Martyn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Martyn »

The device and adapter will only work on 32bit O/S's but has not been tested with Windows 10 32bit, so probably not.
Martyn
Technical Support Manager