Test and Measurement Forum

Serial decoding on reference waveforms

Forum for discussing PicoScope version 6 (non-automotive version)

Serial decoding on reference waveforms

Postby 420Schorsch » Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:54 pm

Hi, I'm new to the picoscope world but so far I'm having a blast with my 3203D :D
One question: Is there a possibility to use a stored reference waveform in serial decoding?
The reason I'm asking is I have a bit of a crappy board with smd components so I can't really attach 2 probes to capture a clock and data signal at the same time, so I figured it would be neat if I could simply capture them one after another and decode the reference waveforms, but it seems there is no way to do that currently.
One potential problem I can think of is that I may have to line up the waveforms or at least the trigger to use one wave as a clock signal and the other as data line, but I figure that'd be doable...
420Schorsch

Re: Serial decoding on reference waveforms

Postby Martyn » Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:02 pm

There may be a way to do this, although I haven't fully tested it as I don't currently have access to any signals, but here we go :-

- Capture your clock
- Create a reference waveform from this clock signal
- Create a maths channel from the reference waveform

you can now use the maths channel as the clock signal in the serial decode.
Martyn
Technical Support Manager
Martyn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Serial decoding on reference waveforms

Postby 420Schorsch » Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:48 pm

Hi Martyn
Thanks for the answer. That seems to work fine! I have yet to test it with actual data (as I managed to slightly fry my DUT :oops: ) but I could use a math channel from a reference waveform to do serial decoding on :)
420Schorsch

Return to PicoScope 6 for Windows