SOLVED: PicoScope 6, 2204A, "No suitable device found"

Forum for discussing PicoScope version 6 (non-automotive version)
KBB

SOLVED: PicoScope 6, 2204A, "No suitable device found"

Post by KBB »

Hi,

I am one of several engineers working in a medium-sized company, located in Denmark.
We use a dozen or so 2204 PicoScopes for various purposes, and have had no problems with these, now discontinued, oscilloscopes. I recently bought the new version, 2204A (*DV943/182*), and cannot get it to work.

Windows 7 finds the device after I connect it, and loads a driver (PicoScope 2000 series PC Oscilloscope, 2.0.4.0, 23-07-2014).
When I start PicoScope 6 (6.11.12.1692), I hear the characteristic "click" as the device is opened.
I then get the message "No suitable device found".

If I reconnect the device, PicoScope 6 shows "Opening devices..." and is stuck there.

I tested this on several other computers often working with the 2204, and I got the same result.
After reading several posts on this forum, from people who seem to have the same issue, I tried installing the beta (6.12.3.2410), as well as the SDK (PicoSDK 10.6.10 (64-bit)) to no avail.

Please advise me how I might get this to work for now, and when you expect to have this fixed.
If I can assist you with troubleshooting, please let me know.

Kind regards,
Kent B.
Innoscan A/S
http://innoscan.dk/
Last edited by KBB on Fri Dec 09, 2016 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KBB

Re: PicoScope 6, 2204A, "No suitable device found"

Post by KBB »

Hi again,

I figured out what the problem was, and it is now solved. Maybe this information can help someone.
TL;DR: I solved the problem by using the original blue USB-cable.

I connected the 2204A, and opened PicoScope 6.
Inside the trace.xml file, found in "C:\Users\XXX\AppData\Local\Pico Technology\64XXXXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXXXXXXXXXX", I noticed the following lines:

Code: Select all

Begin
Found device 0CE9_1007
Complete
Attempting to load ps2000.dll
ModuleInitPass Hs
Finished loading ps2000.dll
Opening device using DLL ps2000.dll
HW error occurred: 5. Requires HW reboot.
Opening device unsuccessful. Error NotResponding
No of Devices Found: 0
[/size]
After that, I connected the 2204 to compare, but to my surprise, that resulted in the same error. After I replaced the cable, both devices worked. It turns out that a standard thin 3m usb cable, does not work with either device. There was no noticeable damage on the cable.

Martyn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: SOLVED: PicoScope 6, 2204A, "No suitable device found"

Post by Martyn »

Good to hear it's working :)

Our cables have thicker cores to provide the necessary power required by the devices, so other cables can cause this type of issue.
Martyn
Technical Support Manager

racer55

Post by racer55 »

Thankyou very much for this post.
I could not get things working until I swapped usb cables with my autel scope-then I swapped back to the blue pico cable and it now works as well?

MarkCan

Post by MarkCan »

I’ve tried the above on two PCs. Laptop and a desktop, no luck. Blue cable that came with the scope was the only one I used. This cable is blue but it looks like the USB2 cable not USB3.
What would be the safest way for providing the external power to the unit? Can I use the USB splitter connected to the external power supply or power bank?

KBB

Post by KBB »

I'm no expert, but I don't see a problem using external power, as long as you match the voltage and minimum current. It shouldn't be necessary though, so I suspect your device may be defective. I'd contact support.

My USB cable is USB2 as well.