ADC-216 for Real Time Control

Which product is right for your exact requirements
Bjorn J

ADC-216 for Real Time Control

Post by Bjorn J »

I need to sample two analog signals and use them to close a control loop using LabView. This means that I need the readings with as short a delay as possible, and at a continuous rate. I need a sample rate of one KHz or so. I am interested in single readings in real time rather than waveforms.

I realize that this application is more like an ADC than an oscilloscope, but I want to eliminate the long analog wires associated with plug-in ADC boards. Can it be done?

matthew
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by matthew »

Hi,

Unfortunately most of our oscilloscope systems are not true real-time (they use buffering), so they will not be suitable for a control system.

The ADC-100 does not use buffering so it is as real-time as possible with a PC, however, since it runs through Windows, the pre-emptive multitasking can stop it from returning values periodically (not ideal for a control system).
You can run it through DOS if you wrote a suitable program with the drivers provided (this would prevent interruptions from other applications). However, I wouldn't necessarily recommend doing this since we can no longer support DOS.

Best Regards,
Matt Everett

Pico Software Engineer