USB Parallel Adapter failure.

Having problems ? let us know the details here
timstewart
User
User

USB Parallel Adapter failure.

Post by timstewart »

Here we go again, I will try once more seeing as I was deleted from the forum member list and my post deleted. Have I done something wrong?

I have an ADC212-100 that I have had for years being used with different machines with 98 through 2k to XP. All working perfectly with the parallel port. I have a new laptop - a Compaq V5000 series running 32bit XP SP2 - with no parallel port. I purchased the Pico USB to parallel converter and total failure. The drivers appear to have loaded as I can see "Pico Parallel Port" appear in device manager under USB when the USB lead is plugged in. When the latest Picoscope software is started the splash screen appears and the computer makes the noise indicating a USB peripheral has been disconnected. At this point the LED on the converter lights up and the entry "Pico Parallel Port" dissappears from the list in device manager. A second later the noise for a USB peripheral being plugged in sounds and the "Pico Parallel Port" entry in device manager re-appears, also, the LED on the ADC212-100 lights up. At this point the error box appears telling me that my ADC212-100 is not connected - which it obviously is.

I have loaded the latest Picoscope software on two other machines with 32bit XP SP2 and both of them work perfectly with the parallel port but when the USB converter is used I get the same failure. I have obviously set the converter properly in Picoscope. Is there anything I am unaware of before I send the converter back.

Thanks, Tim.

Michael
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by Michael »

Hello,

Sorry about the user deleion. I assure you this was accidental, you have done nothing wrong!

The parallel port adapter appearas as it should, so the problem may be either Windows drivers or PicoScope.

In PicoScope, have you set the converter port to PP1 or PP2 etc?
If so, can you continue to open PicoScope and check the Help|About screen for any error message?

In device manager, can you check the USB Root Hub Power properties and check for the "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" option is disabled.

Please try this and let me know how you get on.

Best regards,
Michael
Michael - Tech Support
Pico Technology
Web Support Forum

Post by Guest »

I have tried all PP1 to PP4 settings. The Help / About gives:

Release 5.13.9 - 32 bit

ADC200 Driver V4.02
Error 12 (H13 S61)

picoppsys V1.11

Thanks for the reply. The database deletion comment was tounge in cheek, I know what PHPBB2 is like sometimes ;)

Anyway, I have tried all the PP* settings but 2 to 4 give me an immediate not connected while PP1 does think about it for a second - more often than not. I have tried the power management on the USB, I always disable that in XP as a matter of course anyway.

I have made slight progress tonight but after 5 hours no solution though. I don't know if it's because this ADC212/100 is old (by old I mean might draw slightly more current / might be bit more susceptable to PSU regulation?) the number on the bar code sticker is *BJL57/021* and when working the batch number is BJL57 and calibration date is 17 December 2001 if that gives you a clue but, with the original mains adapter I get the parallel port working and USB not. I do use the ADC for automotive stuff now and again and I have tried it with my own 12v connector to the ADC which only consists of a 1N4001 as a series polarity protector. This I powered from my mains bench variable power supply.

The desktop machines that didnt work before do now using this alternate power supply. I have scoped (mains powered Hameg scope) the original adapter that came with the ADC and it is sat at 15.5v with 1v peak to peak ripple which drops slightly when the ADC is running. I don't think its that though as such. My desktops here are powered by a UPS and the workbench 240v supply is through a mains isolating transformer. I thought it might be due to a combination of the UPS and isolating transformer so I have tried powering the desktops straight from the mains and using the original ADC mains adapter from the same socket and it still fails. Every combination fails apart from the desktop being powered from any mains source (either incoming mains, UPS or mains from isolating transformer) and the ADC being powered from my bench power supply which is supplied from unisolated incoming mains - not tried supplying the bench power supply from anything else as there isn't any point as the USB converter even fails with the ADC being powered by a decent 12v sealed lead acid battery, why this is really doesn't compute because a large battery like this is surely more regulated than my bench supply even with its 10,000uf smoothing cap.

The laptop is the same - ish. The USB converter only works on the laptop with the charger plugged in and the ADC powered from the bench variable power supply or the 12v sealed lead acid battery AND I have a wire from a probe earth on the ADC to the negative on the charger input to the laptop AND ONLY the charger input, connecting the earth of the ADC to any other earth on the laptop doesnt work - it still fails. There is however a 0.12mA current measured between the other earths on the laptop and the charger earth. I have obviously checked and the charger input is physically connected to the other metal earths on the various connectors the laptop has. The laptop, on the odd occasion, still fails though with this configuration.

At first I thought this has to be data corruption surely, slightly different earth potentials upsetting things but when the laptop is battery powered and the ADC is powered from a battery what can the problem be, there is no charging going on and therefore no voltage drop anywhere. I have also tried the USB converter with no parallel lead - ie. USB converter connected directly to the ADC and also another USB lead between computer and converter. Also, when it does work, on every program start (before resetting offset null), it does look like a negative 2mV bias on Channel A (not looked at B) but the significance of that I don't know, this is on either USB converter or parallel input to any computer tried.

All earths on every bit of equipment / cables / etc. do check for continuity so any more ideas are very much welcome.

Thanks, Tim.

Michael
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by Michael »

Hello Tim,

Thank you for the information.

From the batch number, we can see that your unit is one of the older designs. The calibration date suggests the unit is out of manufacturers warranty too. However, we can modify the unit to work with your parallel port adapter. This process typically takes 3-5 days from receipt of your scope.

As you have recently purchased the parallel port adapter, we can provide this service without incurring a repair charge.

Please contact me direct to arrange the return and repair.
Email support@picotech.com

Best regards,
Michael
Michael - Tech Support
Pico Technology
Web Support Forum

timstewart
User
User

Post by timstewart »

Thanks for that. At least it's not me cracking up, I was beginning to wonder.

timstewart
User
User

Post by timstewart »

Any chance of giving someone a poke. I'm still waiting for a returns number. TID 019220.

Thanks, Tim.

Michael
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by Michael »

Hello Tim,

I returns number has already been sent you.

Please read the instructions contained within this message.

Best regards,
Michael
Michael - Tech Support
Pico Technology
Web Support Forum

timstewart
User
User

Post by timstewart »

Thanks for the response.

Before you responded to me on this forum I emailed support and got a ticket number for this on the 9th.

You then kindly replied to my post on here and I emailed support again as per your instructions on the 11th. I asked if I had to send anthing else apart from the ADC unit. I then got another ticket number. I received an email on the 13th from Kevin asking for my contact detials so that a returns number could be issued. I replied to this on the 13th with my details. Thats the last I've heard.

Thanks, Tim.

Michael
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by Michael »

Hello Tim,

We have replied via direct email to you.

Best regards,
Michael
Michael - Tech Support
Pico Technology
Web Support Forum

richhutchins
Active User
Active User

adc not connected

Post by richhutchins »

Sounds like Tim had all the same problems that I had. Please see my posts under Picoscope "Hardware"

timstewart
User
User

Post by timstewart »

My ADC unit has come back from the 'menders' and it now works with the USB converter. It still dissappears momentarily from device manager as the program loads but I assume this is normal? Thanks for your help. There is now an issue with meter view slowing everything down to a crawl but from what I have read on here it seems to be a software problem.

Thanks again,

Tim.

Sarah

Post by Sarah »

Hi

Yes it will disappear from the device manager as the computer renumerates it when the software opens. This is totally normal.

The slowness can be avoided by using the measurements function instead of the meter view. This is a software issue and not to do with your hardware.

Best Regards

Scooby

Post by Scooby »

We also bought a USB Parallel Adaptor from yourselves (USB PP - FJY18/071) on the 2nd August this year, but are unable to get it working with our ADC-212/100 Picoscope (*BAL83/058*).

Do we have the same problem as the above?

I would have thought though that a USB->Parallel adaptor would work with any Picoscope, as it's just emulating the parallel port, and so the Picoscope itself would not be able to tell the difference?

Part of our company is electronics design and manufacture, so is there any way we can do the modification ourselves instead of sending of the Picoscope (if required) ? We use it on a daily basis, so it would be quite difficult to do without.

Sarah

Post by Sarah »

Hi

Thank you for your post.

If you find that the unit works fine on parallel connections but will not work at all on the USB adaptor, then it is highly likely that you require a modfication. Especially if the unit is more than a couple of years old.

Unfortunately we do not release design information about our products and thus cannot supply you with information on how to do the modification. We will however perform it free of charge if you send the unit back to us. I can appreciate that it is an essential piece of equipment for you and we will try and turn it around as quickly as possible to minimise any delays.

Let me know if you require a returns number.

Best Regards