Volts per division

Forum for discussing PicoScope (version 5)
ss26

Volts per division

Post by ss26 »

After a quick look I notice the picoscope software displays +/- a voltage. In teaching how to read from an oscilloscope, I need to show my pupils how to set a v/division value and then read the peak voltage accordingly but this function does not seem to be available. Any chance of it being made available or is it in there somewhere and I've just missed it?

Please help because without this function the picoscope is useless for some of my classes. :?

Autonerdz
Advanced User
Advanced User

peak

Post by Autonerdz »

You can read peak voltage directly with cursors or selecting Settings/Measurements and maximum for whole trace.
Tom Roberts
(The Picotologist)
http://www.autonerdz.com
THE PicoScope Automotive Authority
In North America

ss26

v/div

Post by ss26 »

Unfortunately we have to teach using the v/div function we have on our traditional lab oscilloscopes as the pupils are later expected to use this function in finding out a peak voltage as part of their assessment throughout the year. Having this function in the picoscope software exactly as it is on the oscilloscope would be perfect!

Sarah

Post by Sarah »

Hi

It may be possible to achieve this by setting a custom range. Using this you can show however much of the scale as you require and this will be set over the gridlines on the Picoscope interface.

Best Regards

ss26

Still not there....

Post by ss26 »

Nope, still can't get it.......... :(

Sarah

Post by Sarah »

Hi

Is it possible to give me some more information as to what you are trying to see? Maybe a picture of an example?

Best Regards

ss26

:o(

Post by ss26 »

What the lab oscilloscopes do is give the option to alter the vertical scale of the trace using the Y Amplifier. This sets the oscilloscope to give a trace but where the scale on the Y-axis is defined as whatever this dial is set to per square on the oscilloscope screen. E.g. I can set the Y Amplifier to 0.2v/div (volts per division) and then the pupils have to use this information to calculate the peak voltage of the trace depending on how many squares the wave covers vertically.

Sarah

Post by Sarah »

Hi

Thank you for your post and the extra information.

This should be possible by using the selectable voltage ranges. Rather than being written in the per div format they are written as +/-20V etc. From what you have written it sounds like this is what you mean.

Best Regards

ss26

Given up

Post by ss26 »

I've given up! Unfortunately this software does not have the setting required to make use of it.