BUFFERS/ISOLATORS FOR 1012 & 1016 DATA LOGGERS - PART 1

Post discussions on projects you are working on
Glovisol
Advanced User
Advanced User

BUFFERS/ISOLATORS FOR 1012 & 1016 DATA LOGGERS - PART 1

Post by Glovisol »

UNIVERSAL BUFFERS / ISOLATORS EXPAND THE APPLICATION RANGE OF PICOLOG DATA LOGGERS

The buffers/isolators to be presented in this series provide additional features to the above mentioned data loggers, as follows.

1. Each buffer provides 6 isolated input channels to the DA Logger. Adding this device to the DA separates the DA ground terminals from the sensors' grounds, which will become completely independent, with a ground to ground isolation exceeding 1 kV.

2. In the last two years there has been a remarkable migration from sensors having an analogue output, to sensors having digital output. In general the digital output sensors afford a higher level of precision and stability. Furthermore, with the loss of two inputs, the buffer makes available a standard I2C input which can read one or more digital output sensors. The buffer then converts the I2C input into a 0 - 2.5 V analogue output that serves the analogue input of the Picolg DA. With this facility the DA will afford four isolated channels and one to several digital input channels, depending on whether or not I2C multiplexers are used.

3. Initially an 8 Bit buffer will be presented and illustrated, based on the Arduino 1 Micro. This buffer / isolator works with very simple software and employs a minimal number of external components. With a few modifications it will also work as buffer for the DrDAQ Ext. Channels. Standard or clone micros can be used. A Clone micro can be purchased today for less than £ 5.

4. Later on a 10 to 12 Bit buffer, affording no compromise on resolution, will be presented and illustrated, based on the Arduino Zero Micro. The writer's work on this recently introduced device, for which very little technical information is presently available, has progressed very well. The new software developed obtains greater resolution as a trade-off with PWM frequency. This buffer exhibits the same circuit complexity of the 8 Bit predecessor, but the software is far more complex. In any case a complete software package is now ready for uploading.

5. To give an idea of the application range made possible by these new devices, I have prepared the following digital sensor list, by no means complete and expanding every day.

- Sandbox C02 Sensor.
- Many sensors for different gases.
- BMP082 Barometric Pressure Sensor.
- BMP280 Baro - Altimeter Sensor.
- TMP 007 - Infrared Temperature Therometer/Sensor.
- TCA 9548A I2C 1 to 8 Multiplexer.
- ST CN75 Ultra Precision Temperature Sensor.
- MCP23017 16 Bit I2C Serial Expander.

6. The buffers will keep the flexibility and versatility of the Picolog software, while at the same time exploiting the technical advantages of the new (and very affordable!) digital sensors.

Glovisol
Advanced User
Advanced User

Re: BUFFERS/ISOLATORS FOR 1012 & 1016 DATA LOGGERS - PART 1

Post by Glovisol »

TWO EXAMPLES

Two PC screens illustrate the 8 Bit Buffer/Isolator capabilities. In PICT. AX the Buffer/Isolators translates six isolated analogue channels.
This PC screen shows 6 analogue channels
This PC screen shows 6 analogue channels
In PICT. BX the Buffer/Isolator translates 4 isolated analogue channels + one I2C (Digital) channel. In this example the Buffer receives complex time data from an external I2C device.
This PC screen shows 4 analogue channels + the I2C channel
This PC screen shows 4 analogue channels + the I2C channel
All above data is translated to the Micro output pins in PWM form and from here, through isolating Optocouplers, to the Data Logger inputs. In this respect we are helped by a very useful feature of Picolog: by keeping a high scan time no PWM filters are necessary and the DA reads the PWM as DC voltage directly.