Test and Measurement Forum

Novice advice required - Sensors

Post any questions you may have about our current range of USB data loggers

Novice advice required - Sensors

Postby JezOakley » Thu Feb 09, 2006 9:13 am

Hi,

I have a background in software data logging using a/d converters with transducers and other sensors. However, this was some years ago and I now need to restore my expertise. I am looking at the initial feasibility for a very specific one off application.

Looking at the ADC 11, it appears to handle an input voltage of 0-2.5v DC. That's fine but what I have no idea of is the extent to which that is compatible with various sensors that are available. I wouldn't even know what sensor supplier to look at... RS, Farnell??

I will need to measure simple things like voltage, current, temperature; but also a number of domain specific inputs/levels that form part of a control system. I don't yet know the operating voltages but I would just like to get a feel for general sensor compatability and/or good sources of information about this topic.

Thanks for your assistance,

Jez
JezOakley

Postby Sarah » Tue Feb 14, 2006 1:17 pm

Hi Jez

Thank you for your email.

The logger needed does depend on the sensor you use. The ADC-11 is a good logger for general purpose data logging as you can scale down voltage inputs and use shunt resistors to measure current. I would advise looking at the RS and website Farnell websites for ideas on sensors and their specifications. It usually varies depending on the type of sensor.

Best Regards
Sarah

Return to USB PC Data Loggers