Picoscope device not found

Discussion forum for the Picoscope 6 Mac software
Jeremie

Picoscope device not found

Post by Jeremie »

Hello everyone,

I have a Picoscope 2204 Series that my Macbook Pro 2011 cannot found. I have the last versions of the Beta Software of november 2015 but still, the device cannot be found by the Software.
I can see the Device ID and the Predictor Id in the System Information:
Product ID : 0x1007
Vendor ID : 0x0ce9
Version : 0.03
Speed : until 480 Mb/s
Place : 0xfa130000 / 5

But when I start dmesg or something to track the logs of the kernel, nothing appears. This device is simply not recognized by the System.
Is my device broken? Is there any other way to debug it and try to communicate with it?
I would gladly contribute to help Picoscope in the development of the software.

Jeremie

mario_
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Picoscope device not found

Post by mario_ »

Hi Jeremie,

You could try the latest release to see if it works for you. We have fixed a case where certain mono version was not letting PicoScope6 to recognize the device correctly.

If you'd like to look into more advanced topics, every driver - libps2000 in your case, comes with C console example. Requires some environment changes - like installing development libraries and some third party tools like autotools & autoconf Have a look in to PicoScope6.app/Contets/Resources/doc folders.

Mario

Jeremie

Post by Jeremie »

Hi mario

Thanks for the reply but I am already with the latest version of Picoscope.
I explored how it works with the launch script you did and I found some problems:

here is the trace I got from it:

Info: Trace opened 24/04/2016.
Environment: Info: Running on Mono - True
Environment: Info: Mono Display Name - 4.2.1 (explicit/6dd2d0d Tue Nov 10 18:01:18 EST 2015)
Environment: Info: Host Operating System - MacOSX
Environment: Info: 64Bit Operating System - False
Environment: Info: 64Bit Process - False
Environment: Info: Logical Processors - 8
ApplicationInfo: Info: Application 'PicoScope 6 Beta' (version 6.11.8.11) starting.
ID: Info: 93B885ADFE0DA089CDF634904FD59F71
Environment: Info: User is not Guest
Environment: Info: No Administrator Privileges
Environment: Info: Failed to detect access rights
Environment: Info: OS Version - ProductName: Mac OS X ProductVersion: 10.11.4 BuildVersion: 15E56a
Environment: Info: .net Version - 4.0.30319.17020
Environment: Info: Current Directory - /Applications/PicoScope6.app/Contents/Resources/lib
Environment: Info: Command Line - /Applications/PicoScope6.app/Contents/Resources/lib/PicoScope.GTK.exe
ApplicationInfo: Info: Settings file version - 11.2.0
ApplicationInfo: Info: Preferences file version - 2.0.0
ApplicationInfo: Info: Probes file version - 1.0.0
ApplicationInfo: Info: Data file binary header version - 1
Info: Using default culture: English (United States).

-> and then it is the end of the world. mono consume 100% of the processor and nothing happens.
Why does pico ask for the Administrator privilege? I executed the command with sudo but it seems it didn't work.
May I have more Infos about this exec file? The PicoScope.GTK.exe from the command line
$> exec -a "PicoScope 6" $MONOCMD PicoScope.GTK.exe >/dev/null 2>&1

Thank you
Jeremie

mario_
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mario_ »

Hi Jeremie,

Do you have antivirus on your systems, that is set to scan USB devices? Recently we have received quite few reports, where cpu goes through the roof as soon as device is plugged in and any attempt of reading from it is made. We have tracked this down to El Capitan OSX with certain antivirus running on it.

On the side note, when mono crashes (depending on version and whether your system is configured to do so), a debug session is started for the native code. This operation requires root privileges.
Mono executes exe's compiled in widows format and normally started would report itself as mono-sgen in the dock/finder. Running it 'exec -a Picoscope 6' makes sure that app label is displayed correctly. Running is as root makes no difference on Mac OS X. Drivers interface with native code and no special permissions are required.

Mario