PS3000 not connected

Forum for discussing PicoScope (version 5)
PeteSwad

PS3000 not connected

Post by PeteSwad »

Hi

Ive just received a Picoscope 3206. I installed the software as described in the Installation Guide onto a desktop with XP. Everything seemed to work as mentioned in the guide.
However when I run Picoscope an error dialog appears saying "PS3000 not connected".
FYI The red light on the scope is on until I run Picoscope and just before the dialog appears the light goes off. It stays off until I disconnect and reconnect the scope.

I've tried Picoscope R5.12.? and R5.13.1 (Driver version 2,2,0,3) with no change.

I installed the Picoscope system onto my laptop (XP) and everything works fine.

What can you suggest I do to get Picoscope working on my desktop?

Thanks
Pete

Sarah

Post by Sarah »

Hi

Thank you for your post.

The light goes off when the computer makes contact with the unit and then only comes on for sampling so this is actually a good sign.

What does the unit display as in the device manager? Try ininstalling it and reinstalling it as it may not be installed correctly.

Has it worked correctly before on this PC? If not then it is most likely to be an installation problem.

Let me know how you get on.

Best Regards

Post by Guest »

The Device Manager displays the unit as a "PicoScope3000 series PC Oscilloscope" under the "Universal Serial Bus controllers" device type.

When I run PicoScope the device disappears from the Device Manager. When I disconnect and reconnect the scope's USB plug, it reappears in the Device Manager.

Ive uninstalled and reinstalled the scope drivers many times.... it always ends the same, everything looks good until I run PicoScope and then the scope seems to shutdown (I'm assuming this is what happens as the devices dissappears from the Device Manager).

Pete

Sarah

Post by Sarah »

Hi Pete

Thank you for your post.

Ok what is happening is that when you start the software it re-enumerates the device. So it is as if it is disconnecting and reconnecting it. When you first plug the device in it runs in USB1 mode and then when you start the software it should change up to USB2 if your computer supports this. It may be that it has not installed the USB2 part correctly.

Try uninstalling the device via the device manager, then disconnect it, reboot the PC and reconnect the device once Windows has fully loaded. Follow through the wizard and if it appears more than once then follow it through each time.

Let me know if this helps.

Best Regards

Post by Guest »

Thanks for the help.

I'm pretty sure now that the problem lies in the "VIA USB Enhanced Host Controller" (the USB 2.0 driver supplied by Microsoft). I disabled this driver, limiting the USB ports to 1.1, and Picoscope and the PS3206 connected without a problem.

The problem was just new twist on a problem Ive been having with this USB 2.0 driver.

Thanks again for the insightful description of what happens when the scope is connected and Picoscope is run.

Pete

MarkWyman
User
User

Post by MarkWyman »

Help! Me too...

I updated the software included with the PicoScope3206 from what was included on the CD 5.10 to 5.13 from the web, and now I get the same error message no matter what I do. I had it working after a long struggle with the USB2.0 on my machine under Rev 5.10. I was blaming it on something else since this is a new computer, but now I am thinking the PicoScope is causing my downgrade to USB1.1 without detecting 2.0 capability.

I have had a lot of trouble with the PicoScope downgrading my entire USB to 1.1, and leaving it there. This has been forcing me to install the motherboard USB drivers and re-install them over and over to get this thing functional. I love PicoScope when it decides to run.

Please help, or at least force the darned thing to stay in USB2.0 somehow. It is confusing my poor system and causing me headaches.

*edit*
Ok, now I see what you are talking about when it tests for USB2.0; once the driver is installed, I get the error for "Device can run faster" windows message (I forget the wording) meaning USB hun is in 1.1 mode, but then I get the disconnect/reconnect beeps, and then it is up at 2.0 speeds. I guess this is a result of me getting my USB drivers working properly, but...

I only have it working again under the older 5.10, but cannot get it working under the newer 5.13. For now I will stick to the 5.10 to see if this gets fixed or there is another solution that someone can hopefully suggest.

BTW this is my system:
AMD4200+ X2
2G Ram
nVidia 6600GT
Lots of HD space
nForce4 chip set
DFI LanPartyUT nF4 Ultra-D motherboard.
About 6 devices on the USB, all 2.0 compliant.

Yeah, I play a few games on this box too ;-)

BTW Does using the external power supply play any role in the USB not initializing correctly? Perhaps not allowing a power-cycle?

-Mark

MarkWyman
User
User

Post by MarkWyman »

Finally FINALLY got this working. It took a lot of retries, finally going to the registry and removing anything that mentioned PICO after fully uninstalling the software and drivers.

I still think you should have a jumper-header someplace that forces USB2.0 or auto since installation really was a pain. It is probably chipset of the motherboard related, but this is one of the latest chipsets (nForce4).

Thanks!

On to the next problem later.

-Mark