Test and Measurement Forum

crash: saving speadsheets of different plw files

Forum for discussing PicoLog

crash: saving speadsheets of different plw files

Postby moaltmann » Wed Aug 17, 2005 2:08 pm

I found a repeatable crash in PicoLog software (WinXP, Release 5.12.6 - came on CD with my ADC-11):

plw32.exe wrote:plw32.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

procedure:
  1. open PicoLog (plw32.exe)
  2. File > Open > [any old *.plw]
  3. View > Spreadsheet
  4. Select (i.e. select all data)
  5. Write to disk (& save as whatever)
  6. repeat from #2
When trying to write to disk the second time, PicoLab crashes repeatably on my machine.
This is independent of whether the actual data logger (ADC-11) is plugged in or not.

is this a known bug/has anybody experience this already?

Regards,
Mischa Altmann
moaltmann

Postby Sarah » Thu Aug 18, 2005 3:14 pm

Hi

Thank you for your post.

I have heard of something like this before and I believe it had something to do with long filenames. Try resaving everything with filenames that are no longer than 6 characters and see if this helps.

Let me know how you get on.

Best Regards
Sarah

Postby moaltmann » Fri Aug 19, 2005 6:05 pm

thank you for th equick reply

i'll be able to "Try resaving everything with filenames that are no longer than 6 characters" next week and will report back.

I would be useful to have a sort of FAQ of known bugs -- or maybe it exists already but i missed it.

thanks,
Mischa Altmann
moaltmann

Postby moaltmann » Mon Aug 22, 2005 3:28 pm

I have now tested the procedure of my first post using filenames with 9 characters (e.g. horn00GHz.plw) saving them repeatably as CSV file with 9 character (e.g. horn00GHz.prn) name. This does not produce a crash! using names with spaces (& 9 characters) works.

I'm not going to do exhaustive testing (due to time contsraints) on this problem but the problem seems to occur either with long filenames or file names that contain special characters such as '=' etc...

It would be appreciated if the software developers could look into this.

regards,
Mischa Altmann
moaltmann

same Problem

Postby Marco Kupsky » Mon Sep 12, 2005 12:29 pm

Hello,
i've the same Problem using PicoLog with a PT104. I need long filenames and the software crashes every 2nd try of exporting the spreadsheet.
Please fix this bug, it is' very cirumstantially to restart the software after every measurement.

With best regards
Marco Kupsky
Marco Kupsky

Return to PicoLog