Test and Measurement Forum

ADC-212/100 Spectrum usage - noise floor and resolution bw

Forum for discussing PicoScope (version 5)

ADC-212/100 Spectrum usage - noise floor and resolution bw

Postby roger34 » Tue Feb 18, 2003 9:54 am

I am from a conventional spec analyser background, using expensive kit to measure simple spectrum emissions. I like the pico concept and want to modernise my tools usage.

I have a few questions regarding the spectrum mode of picoscope, which I have not laid hands on yet, I am eagerly awaiting the first unit.

[1] noise floor - are there any declared limits, for example -120dBm/Hz into a 10kHz res b/w.

[2] after playing with the software demo, how can I work out (correctly) the resolution bandwidth setting over a required measurement frequency range. Is it as simple as dividing the frequency range by the number of points ?

[3] is it possible to limit the start frequencyand stop frequency other than the pull-down toolbar (for the stop frequency only) ?

With thanks

roger34
roger34

Postby matthew » Wed Feb 19, 2003 12:42 pm

Hi Roger,

1. There aren't any specified limits for the noise floor, but the unit's dynamic range approaches 20log(resolution). ie 72dB range for a 12bit ADC-212.

2. Yes, just divide the total frequency range selected by the resolution you have selected from Settings | Options. This will give you the frequency scale increments.

3. Unfortunately not, the Frequency range always starts at 0Hz.

Best Regards,
Matt Everett

Pico Software Engineer
matthew
Guru
Guru

Return to PicoScope 5