RS232 format decoding

Forum for discussing PicoScope version 6 (non-automotive version)
p8062001

RS232 format decoding

Post by p8062001 »

Hi,

Is it possible to show the RS232 decoded Data not in Row but in line (like for example the decoded CAN stream)

Mark_O
Advanced

Re: RS232 format decoding

Post by Mark_O »

Is it possible to show the RS232 decoded Data not in Row but in line (like for example the decoded CAN stream)
CAN data is contained in a 'frame', where all the bits are contiguous. Thus the entire frame can be decoded into one row. While RS232 data is in individual bytes, asynchronously separated from the other bytes in the stream. With any amount of space (time delay) between any two bytes. Thus, one byte per row, with it's own time-stamp.

It would be possible for Picotech to implement a "string display" option, by allowing a user-defined set of characters to act as delimiters (e.g. NUL, newlines like LR or CR, etc.). Then a concatenated "packet" could be displayed on each line, rather than one byte in each row. The downside of course being that the inter-byte timing information would then be sacrificed. This would be a worthwhile loss in many situations.

One other mechanism would be to partition packets temporally, and combine bytes appearing in =T. I've implemented both mechanisms myself, in custom serial-stream analyzer software I've written in the past.

Now that you've mentioned it, I would find such capabilities useful. If anyone else did, they could ask Pictotech to add it to their Request List.

Martyn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: RS232 format decoding

Post by Martyn »

I will pass this information on to the development team.
Martyn
Technical Support Manager