PicoScope for Linux? Linux driver for PS320x?

Forum for discussing PicoScope (version 5)
guenter

PicoScope for Linux? Linux driver for PS320x?

Post by guenter »

Hi,

Are there any plans to provide PicoScope for Linux?

How about Linux driver for the PS320x?

Thanks

Guenter

Sarah

Post by Sarah »

Hi

Thank you for your post.

We do not currently have plans to develop Linux software for our products, likewise we do not at present have any Linux drivers for our PS3000 series and have no plans to build any.

Best Regards

potential customer

Were are the 3000 series Linux drivers?

Post by potential customer »

Hi,

I'm wondering why you're not planning to develop linux drivers for your newer models (please correct me if I'm wrong here). I'm interrested in these products, but am concerned about the future viability of your company. I used to work for a company like yours that built PC data aquisition devices. The product went from cutting edge to yesterday's news (i.e. out of buisness) in about four years because they missed the switch from serial to USB. I see the same thing happening with Linux today.

So how did my previous employer lose its advantage? Instead of hiring one or two new technical people to assist with new development, they hired several marketing people to boost sales. Guess what happened next. The good technical people who were driving inovation quit one by one until all that remained were techs that only cared about punching a clock. Two years later, they were out of business.

Now, I'm not saying that this is what's happening at pico, or that you'll be out of business in four years, but I am concerned. I will not buy your product if I think, even for a second that your long term plans do not include Linux. I know I'm not alone here. On the other hand, if you demonstrate strong support for open source software, I will be looking to buy very soon.

Something else to think about. The other mistake my former company made was in believing that the software was the key to selling the hardware. Big, big mistake. If we had open sourced the software, the universities we were selling the product to would have written most of it for us, adding features we never could have dreamed of. Focus your core buisness on making the best scope possible and let your customers help you with the software.

Thanks,

A concerned potential customer