is the picscope 2205a fast enough for what i want

Post any questions you may have about our current range of oscilloscopes
jay543_uk

is the picscope 2205a fast enough for what i want

Post by jay543_uk »

Hi, iv been looking to buy a Usb oscilloscope for automotive testing but don't really need it to be able to do what all the high end picauto scopes can do.

I would like to do simple sensor and Signal tests and maybe look for activity on a Canbus line to check it's active.

How would I be able to work out if the picscope 2205a would have a high enough bandwidth and sample rate to carry out these tasks.

Cheers for any help

Jason

Hitesh

Re: is the picscope 2205a fast enough for what i want

Post by Hitesh »

Hi Jason,

The PicoScope 6 software will allow CAN Bus decoding with the PicoScope 2205A.

Please note that the PicoScope 2205A will not work with the Automotive software and does not have the same level of of overvoltage protection as the Automotive PicoScope oscilloscopes and has 8-bit resolution compared to 12-bit.

Regards,

jay543_uk

Post by jay543_uk »

Thanks for your reply, I have access to a high spec scope if I need it but I just wanted a small and easy to use scope for quick inspections. Would you say the scope should be ok to look at crank sensor signals and injector pulses in a low resolution then. Also I think the high speed Canbus on the ford cars is 500kbits, would it be quick Enoch to decode that.

Thanks again for Amy help
Jason

Hitesh

Post by Hitesh »

Hi Jason,

The PicoScope 2205A should be ok for crank sensor signals and injector pulses.

Regarding CAN Bus capture, are you looking to just monitor the signal or decode it? An oscilloscope with a relatively larger buffer memory would be better, particularly if you are looking to do the latter.

Regards,