Not fully using the sample buffer

Forum for discussing PicoScope version 6 (non-automotive version)
jacob.larsen

Not fully using the sample buffer

Post by jacob.larsen » Tue Nov 11, 2014 1:13 pm

It seems like the PicoScope software does not fully utilize the sample buffer. I have a PicoScope 6404D, which should have a 2GS sample buffer. But I can only get 1GS by shifting various settings. It looks like it could be a one-off bug in the software. If I set a single channel with the maximum settings, it shows that it is capturing 1,000,000,001 samples, suggesting that there is a bug there preventing it from doubling the buffer use.

I think the user interface could do with a tune-up in this area. It should be possible to configure these sets of parameters directly:

- Capture for x ms with sample rate y. Sample buffer size z is calculated from this.
- Capture z samples with sample rate y. Sample time x is calculated from this.
- Capture z samples for x ms. Sample rate y is calculated from this.

You would often use the constraints that sample buffer is set to max (2GS for 6404D). Sample rate will be limited to a fixed number that is specific to the setup being measured. For digital signals, this will most likely be 4x the fastest clocked line being measured.

Hitesh
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Not fully using the sample buffer

Post by Hitesh » Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:21 pm

Hello Jacob,

The reason why PicoScope 6 is not able to collect the full 2GS in a single shot capture is due to the timebases available in the software.

In order to collect 2GS at the fastest sampling rate (5GS/s - 200ps sample interval), this would require a collection time of

200000000 * 200e-12 = 0.4s (400ms)

This would require a timebase of 40ms/div which is not supported. However, you should be able to achieve a collection of 1.25GS in a single shot capture using a sampling interval of 400ps and a timebase of 50ms/div.

If you are using the Software Development Kit, then you should be able to collect the full 2GS.

I will pass on your suggestions to the Development Team for consideration.

Regards,
Hitesh

Technical Support Engineer