Picoscope 5242b custom sampling rate

Post general discussions on using our drivers to write your own software here
johannes

Picoscope 5242b custom sampling rate

Post by johannes »

Hi,

We want to use the Picoscope 5242b for our new product. Manly thats because it is one of the few scopes that supports 16 bit resolution.
The problem is that the sampling rate can only be set to a few predefined values.
Currently I am using timebase 6 which corresponds to 48 ns sampling intervall => 20.8333 MS/s
However my application currently requires a sampling rate of about 14,857 MS/s (this might change as development goes on).
At the moment I resample the signal in software using an overlap add filter which is very cpu and ram intensive.

Is there a way to set the sample rate of the picoscope to a specific value? Maybe using a custom firmware?
One of your competitors offers a scope with an optional external sampling clock. Is such an option available for the picoscope?

Hitesh

Re: Picoscope 5242b custom sampling rate

Post by Hitesh »

Hi Johannes,

The sampling rates available on the PicoScope 5000 Series depend on the ADC configuration and so it is not possible to set a custom sampling rate.

You could sample at a faster sampling interval and then use the downsampling capability in the API to average or decimate the data to effectively achieve a slower sampling rate.

The PicoScope 6000 series can be set to synchronise to an external clock signal using the API functions but it is not possible to set the sampling rate externally. I will pass on your comments to our Development Team for consideration.

Edit: Based on the timebase index, I presume you are using 12-bit resolution. Incrementing/decrementing the timebase index by 1 above the 3 fastest intervals will leads to a change in interval of 16ns each time.

Regards,