Averaging and filtering

Forum for discussing PicoScope version 6 (non-automotive version)
Ax2

Averaging and filtering

Post by Ax2 »

Hello.

I noticed that there are two (hw and sw) filtering options in incoming signal. Unfortunately my 2207 does not have either of them. If there are SW filtering possibility why it is not implemented into PS6 to be used in every scope models? (yes I know I bought a wrong model. I should bought 3000 series)

But the real issue: I tried math averaging to smooth my wave and it works in general. Just that I believe averaging count is taken from Number of samples. When I select something reasonable like 1kS, it takes more than 5-10 mins to average!! It is way toooo long time to wait for a signal. If I set very low Number of samples, yes averaging is faster but the original signal is so bad that the result is not usable. How to properly use this feature? There must be "Number of samples for averaging" separately somewhere?
I noticed that if I change "select maximum number of bits" value between 8 and 8.5 averaging happens instantly. Of course I cant constantly click the menu while probing.

After you have created average of low pass filter, you cant deselect Override automatic range selection. Or you can, of course, but it always stays enabled (and also min and max values are reverted back to default).

For LowPass filter you can't enter freq values like 15000000 or 25000000. 10000000 and 20000000 are fine (red excalation mark). I would like to enter filter value like 15MHz. Well, you can't type 10MHz, 15MHz, 20MHz etc and filter seems to be created/edited properly. However, the filter does nothing. The result is flat line.

Signal low pass filtering in Channel options would be essential for me too. Even tho it is "only" SW version of it. Now there is no change to add LowPass in Persistence view either.

Oh, and more bugs... Values in Persistence Options are not saved in sessions settings. They always remains in default values.

PS 6.10.2.2 Beta

Ax2_

Re: Averaging and filtering

Post by Ax2_ »

Hope you are investigating these issues. Here is a screenshot of one of the issues. Signal 8Vpp, but averaged 14Vpp. And it changes between 8 and 14 by itself and after changing input range of collection time.
I can send more detailed setup information, but basically input signal is 1MHz sine (ext source).

Please note Channel A Low Pass filter. Without it averaging seems to work just fine.

PS 6.10.2.2
Attachments
Untitled-1.jpg

Ax2_

Post by Ax2_ »

Here's couple of more images. The first one is taken few minutes after frequency change and the second one 30 mins after that.
Should you need more information please do not hesitate to contact.

Ax
Attachments
Untitled-3.jpg
Untitled-2.jpg

Martyn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Martyn »

There are a few odd things going on which we are looking into. It would help if you can post a data file for this setup so we can look at the settings and the raw data.
Martyn
Technical Support Manager

Ax2_

Post by Ax2_ »

Hello. Sure, no problem.
This is easily repeatable.
1,001MHz signal from external source, changed to 2,001MHz and waited about 20 secs and then saved attached psdata.

PS 6.10.2.2
Attachments
20140909-0001.psdata
(205.72 KiB) Downloaded 390 times