Test and Measurement Forum

Frequency Response Analyzer with Bode Plots

Post discussions on applications you are writing

Re: Frequency Response Analyzer with Bode Plots

Postby Langston » Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:26 am

Hi Aaron:

Thank you! :) I just purchased a 5244B, my very first Pico Technology product partially because of your application, which works flawlessly on my Win7 64 bit machine. I do not have either version of SDK installed.

I'm a long time user of dual channel DFT measurement programs that divide the DUT signal by the reference output of an analyzer, so FRA was quite intuitive for me. This process of division results in amazing accuracy and is quite forgiving of imperfect amplification used to test filters and the like.

I have one question and one suggestion:

1. How can I send you some money for this amazing gift of yours?

2. In reference to impedance measurement (V/I of course), it would be very helpful to have a linear option for the Y-Axis and it would be very helpful to have a user defined "probe attenuation" field so we can enter a number for the calibration required for the shunt resistor or current transformer employed for the current sense channel.

God bless you and your precious family - Langston
Langston

Postby Nicola » Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:11 pm

Hi Hexamer,
I am trying to run FRA on a 2205MSO (which is correctly seen and initialized by the application), but as soon as the scan starts it remains blocked in the first point.
When I abort the scan, I have the Fatal Error 46.
I have Win7 64bit, and I have installed 32bit SDK. FRA version 0.6.1b.

Is there something I can do to make it work?
Thanks for the hard work

Nevermind, problem solved!
Nicola

Postby hexamer » Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:53 am

Langston wrote:Hi Aaron:

Thank you! :) I just purchased a 5244B, my very first Pico Technology product partially because of your application, which works flawlessly on my Win7 64 bit machine. I do not have either version of SDK installed.

I'm a long time user of dual channel DFT measurement programs that divide the DUT signal by the reference output of an analyzer, so FRA was quite intuitive for me. This process of division results in amazing accuracy and is quite forgiving of imperfect amplification used to test filters and the like.

I have one question and one suggestion:

1. How can I send you some money for this amazing gift of yours?

2. In reference to impedance measurement (V/I of course), it would be very helpful to have a linear option for the Y-Axis and it would be very helpful to have a user defined "probe attenuation" field so we can enter a number for the calibration required for the shunt resistor or current transformer employed for the current sense channel.

God bless you and your precious family - Langston

Thank you for your kind words. I appreciate the offer, but am not looking for any financial support.

Those are good suggestions I can add to the list of requested enhancements. In the meanwhile, do be aware of a couple of other avenues that might help solve your need.

1) The raw output data can be exported, so you can transform and graph any way that you wish
2) There is a DLL form of the software that you could control by several means: Excel, Scripting language (e.g. Python), or your own GUI developed in whatever language you like (C++, C#, Java, etc). The Excel method would not require any significant programming efforts. In fact a major impetus for making an API version was to support someone making automated impedance measurements.
hexamer
Advanced User
Advanced User

Postby _Wim_ » Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:37 am

Just wanted to express my thanks for providing this app. I makes my 5442B so much more useful!
I was a bit surprised this was not included in the picoscope software. Before I purchased my picoscope, I had seen screenshots of your app, but did not realize that this was not a screenshot of an external app. Luckily google pointed me in the right direction.

Thanks again, Wim.
_Wim_

Postby hexamer » Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:38 am

_Wim_ wrote:Just wanted to express my thanks for providing this app. I makes my 5442B so much more useful!
I was a bit surprised this was not included in the picoscope software. Before I purchased my picoscope, I had seen screenshots of your app, but did not realize that this was not a screenshot of an external app. Luckily google pointed me in the right direction.

Thanks again, Wim.

Thank you, Wim. I appreciate the kind feedback.
hexamer
Advanced User
Advanced User

Previous

Return to Applications