Test and Measurement Forum

Frequency Response Analyzer with Bode Plots

Post discussions on applications you are writing

Re: Frequency Response Analyzer with Bode Plots

Postby Martyn » Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:50 pm

As a new version of PicoScope 6 has just been released, we will shortly be updating the SDK to include support for all the latest devices.
Martyn
Technical Support Manager
Martyn
Site Admin
Site Admin
 
Posts: 2686
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:15 am
Location: St. Neots

Re: Frequency Response Analyzer with Bode Plots

Postby martin.s » Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:45 am

hexamer wrote:
martin.s wrote:Hello,

I have a problem. FRA4 not works with my new 2208B - "Error: Unable to initialize device with serial number EY465/0001"
I am using PicoSDK_64_10.6.10.24 from included CD.

Before there I used 2204A and everything worked perfect.

Can you tell me some reason? I tried to use 32bit sdk or old version 64bit and something else and nothing works.
I need to do a bode plot with FRA4.
Can you help me? Thanks.


Hello and thank you for reporting this - I suspect this may be a common problem. Since the SDK does not yet include support for the newer 2000B scopes, the API DLLs have to come from the PicoScope application. The FRA4PicoScope application prefers to get its DLLs from the SDK location. So it will load incompatible DLLs for these newer scopes. The workaround is to uninstall all PicoScope 32 bit SDKs, keep the PicoScope Application installed, then run the FRA application. You should be able to keep 64 bit SDKs installed if you need them for something else.

Thanks You,

Aaron.


Hello Aaron,

I tried to use a new PicoSDK and PicoScope app today morning.
I uninstalled everything before. FRA4 still have a problem with my 2006B: Error: Unable to initialize device with serial number EY465/0001.


Can you help me with that?

Yours sincerely
Martin.
martin.s
Newbie
 
Posts: 0
Joined: Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:43 pm

Re: Frequency Response Analyzer with Bode Plots

Postby hexamer » Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:18 pm

martin.s wrote:
hexamer wrote:
martin.s wrote:Hello,

I have a problem. FRA4 not works with my new 2208B - "Error: Unable to initialize device with serial number EY465/0001"
I am using PicoSDK_64_10.6.10.24 from included CD.

Before there I used 2204A and everything worked perfect.

Can you tell me some reason? I tried to use 32bit sdk or old version 64bit and something else and nothing works.
I need to do a bode plot with FRA4.
Can you help me? Thanks.


Hello and thank you for reporting this - I suspect this may be a common problem. Since the SDK does not yet include support for the newer 2000B scopes, the API DLLs have to come from the PicoScope application. The FRA4PicoScope application prefers to get its DLLs from the SDK location. So it will load incompatible DLLs for these newer scopes. The workaround is to uninstall all PicoScope 32 bit SDKs, keep the PicoScope Application installed, then run the FRA application. You should be able to keep 64 bit SDKs installed if you need them for something else.

Thanks You,

Aaron.


Hello Aaron,

I tried to use a new PicoSDK and PicoScope app today morning.
I uninstalled everything before. FRA4 still have a problem with my 2006B: Error: Unable to initialize device with serial number EY465/0001.


Can you help me with that?

Yours sincerely
Martin.


Hi Martin,

I'm afraid I'm having difficulty replicating this problem. When I install the new 32 bit SDK (version 10.6.12.41), without even re-linking the application (using v0.6b as supplied), I can use my PS2408B just fine. The only difference between my scope and your is two vs four channels. As far as I can tell the application should be able to use a PS2208B scope.

Could you please confirm the following for me:

1) You installed the 32 bit version of the new SDK
2) Your scope still works with the PicoScope Application.

Aaron.
hexamer
Advanced User
Advanced User
 
Posts: 62
Joined: Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:09 pm

Re: Frequency Response Analyzer with Bode Plots

Postby martin.s » Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:32 am

hexamer wrote:Hi Martin,

I'm afraid I'm having difficulty replicating this problem. When I install the new 32 bit SDK (version 10.6.12.41), without even re-linking the application (using v0.6b as supplied), I can use my PS2408B just fine. The only difference between my scope and your is two vs four channels. As far as I can tell the application should be able to use a PS2208B scope.

Could you please confirm the following for me:

1) You installed the 32 bit version of the new SDK
2) Your scope still works with the PicoScope Application.

Aaron.


Hi Aaron,

I tried to use 32 bit SDK as you told me, but still without change. I tried everything and nothing works.

When FRA4 tried to get a connecion to the device, the LED on scope blinked. But result was the same: "Unable to initialize device.."
I noticed that FRA4 clasified my "B" wersion of scope as "A" family.

FRA4 works perfectly with 2204A but I confused why it not works with new 2206B.

Martin
Attachments
fra4.PNG
martin.s
Newbie
 
Posts: 0
Joined: Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:43 pm

Re: Frequency Response Analyzer with Bode Plots

Postby hexamer » Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:22 pm

Martin,

Thank you for the update. The family identification is actually correct. The new 2000B series scopes use the 2000A family driver. I'll take a closer look at the code and see if I can deduce why we can't initialize your scope.

Edit: I do see a bug in the code that would cause this. The ps2000aImpl::InitializeScope function is not handling initialization for 2208B. I'll create a fix that you can tryout soon.

Thank you,

Aaron.
hexamer
Advanced User
Advanced User
 
Posts: 62
Joined: Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:09 pm

Re: Frequency Response Analyzer with Bode Plots

Postby ingmarp » Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:00 am

Hello,

I'm new on this blog and have almost the same issue on my PS 2200A: although I can clearly see it in the Select Device box with the correct serial number, the message i get is unfortunately the same "cannot initialize the device".
Which is a pity as.

I'm running FRA on Win7 and tried both FRA 0.6 and debug version.


Thanks and regards.

Ingmar
ingmarp
Newbie
 
Posts: 0
Joined: Sat Jul 15, 2017 7:44 am

Re: Frequency Response Analyzer with Bode Plots

Postby hexamer » Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:46 pm

ingmarp wrote:Hello,

I'm new on this blog and have almost the same issue on my PS 2200A: although I can clearly see it in the Select Device box with the correct serial number, the message i get is unfortunately the same "cannot initialize the device".
Which is a pity as.

I'm running FRA on Win7 and tried both FRA 0.6 and debug version.


Thanks and regards.

Ingmar


Hello Ingmar,

Thank you for reporting this issue. Could you please tell me which Picoscope model you have? PS2200A refers to a family of scopes.

Aaron.
hexamer
Advanced User
Advanced User
 
Posts: 62
Joined: Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:09 pm

Re: Frequency Response Analyzer with Bode Plots

Postby hexamer » Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:59 pm

Martin,

I've released a version (0.6.1b) which I hope will resolve the issue you reported. Please install and let me know if it works:
https://bitbucket.org/hexamer/fra4picos ... 00.6.1.msi

Ingmar,

This version might solve the issue you reported too. It looks like I somehow also missed all scopes in the PS2200A family.

Thank you for taking the time to report these issues and for your patience while worked on fixing them.

Aaron.
hexamer
Advanced User
Advanced User
 
Posts: 62
Joined: Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:09 pm

Re: Frequency Response Analyzer with Bode Plots

Postby martin.s » Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:26 am

hexamer wrote:Martin,

I've released a version (0.6.1b) which I hope will resolve the issue you reported. Please install and let me know if it works:
https://bitbucket.org/hexamer/fra4picos ... 00.6.1.msi

Ingmar,

This version might solve the issue you reported too. It looks like I somehow also missed all scopes in the PS2200A family.

Thank you for taking the time to report these issues and for your patience while worked on fixing them.

Aaron.


Hi Aaron,

A new release now can initialize the device, but after last frequency step has some problem with generator everytime when I changed different seting of analysis.

Example:

Status: 2206B S/N: EY465/0001 successfully initialized.
Status: Starting frequency step 1 (100.001 Hz)
.
.

Status: Starting frequency step 31 (99999.998 Hz)
Fatal error: Failed to setup stimulus signal: 46
Error: Failed to disable signal generator.

The result was measured characteristic of the frequency response in the graph. Only it wrote an error with disabling generator after every measurement.

Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Martin.
martin.s
Newbie
 
Posts: 0
Joined: Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:43 pm

Re: Frequency Response Analyzer with Bode Plots

Postby hexamer » Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:37 pm

Thank you for reporting back, Martin. That error message is known issue, tracked in Bitbucket #38. Despite the wording "fatal", it's actually harmless. Just be aware that the signal generator remains on at the end of a run. If you spot any other problems, please let me know.

Thanks,

Aaron.
hexamer
Advanced User
Advanced User
 
Posts: 62
Joined: Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:09 pm

Re: Frequency Response Analyzer with Bode Plots

Postby ingmarp » Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:55 am

Hi Aaron,

You're right. the Picoscope I'm using is the 2205AMSO.

Marco
ingmarp
Newbie
 
Posts: 0
Joined: Sat Jul 15, 2017 7:44 am

Re: Frequency Response Analyzer with Bode Plots

Postby ingmarp » Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:07 am

Hi Aaron, the new release work fine!
Thanks a lot.

Marco
ingmarp
Newbie
 
Posts: 0
Joined: Sat Jul 15, 2017 7:44 am

Re: Frequency Response Analyzer with Bode Plots

Postby Andreas_ » Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:05 am

Hello Aaron,

thanks for the very nice tool.
It helped me to adjust my low noise measurement amplifier 10-100kHz.
https://www.mikrocontroller.net/attachment/336083/20170717_AN83_unadjusted_10Hz_100kHz.PNG
https://www.mikrocontroller.net/attachment/336188/20170720_AN83_R9_5K19_10Hz_100kHz.PNG

I have only 2 questions:

is it possible to enter some custom specific gain factor?
I have a factor 1103.57 from my voltage divider which is between the input channel and the measurement amplifier. So with my setup the diagram is off by 60.86 dB.

When I use a voltage divider 100K / 1K together with some BNC-cables
the y-axis has the values -40.3, -40.2, -40.2, -40.1, -40.1

So I do not know which value is really -40.2 and -40.1
Would it be possible to leave off the (wrong) axis values or add another digit in this case?

regards Andreas
Andreas_
Newbie
 
Posts: 0
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:47 pm

Re: Frequency Response Analyzer with Bode Plots

Postby hexamer » Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:00 am

Andreas,

Thank you for the feedback. I appreciate the graphs.

On your first question, if I understand correctly you're asking for a feature that could be achieved with something like the custom probe feature in the Picoscope application. Unfortunately such a feature is not available yet. It seems useful, so I can add it to the feature list. Conceptually, this could also be achieved with a feature I refer to on the Wiki as "interactive auto-ranging" - unfortunately also not yet available.

On your second question, also unfortunately there is no such feature to turn off axis value printing.

There is however a feature that may help with both issues. You can export the data and graph in you own application. It's accessible by selecting menu File->Export Data

Would you mind telling me which scope you are using to help me track compatibility?

Thank you,

Aaron
hexamer
Advanced User
Advanced User
 
Posts: 62
Joined: Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:09 pm

Re: Frequency Response Analyzer with Bode Plots

Postby Andreas_ » Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:05 pm

Hello Aaron,

im using the 5444A.

My 2nd question was not to turn off the whole numbering of the axis.
I do simply not want 2 same numbers on different places on the y-axis.
So I need either a further digit (-41.15) or leaving off every 2nd number of the y-axis.
Otherwise the Y-axis numbering is somewhat confusing.
(see attachment).

with best regards

Andreas
Attachments
20170719_Divider_100K_1K_3Hz_300kHz_4V.PNG
Andreas_
Newbie
 
Posts: 0
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:47 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Applications

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests