I2S serial decoding on 2-channel 'scope

Post any questions you may have about our current range of oscilloscopes
busby

I2S serial decoding on 2-channel 'scope

Post by busby »

Hello,

I would like to decode I2S digital audio data and display it as an audio waveform using a Picoscope 5203. This is a two channel instrument so, at the moment, the I2S serial decoding option cannot be used as three input channels are required: for data, bit-clock and word-clock.

I wonder if a firmware update could allow the word-clock to be supplied to the external trigger input leaving inputs A and B for the data and bit-clock. There would be no need to display the word-clock as I'm interested only in the audio waveform and corresponding data values. This would be a great addition to an already fantastic product.

Chris

Pico Stuart
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: I2S serial decoding on 2-channel 'scope

Post by Pico Stuart »

Dear Chris,

Thank you for your post with regard to your I2S application. Please could you send in a sample data file or the protocol document to support@picotech.com

The latest version of PicoScope 6 has a new wealth of features including some great new enhancements to the serial decoding functionality.

Here at Pico we want to ensure that you get the best user experience possible and will happily assist in finding a solution in terms of your serial decoding requirements.

Kindest regards,

Stuart
Applications Engineer

busby

Re: I2S serial decoding on 2-channel 'scope

Post by busby »

Dear Stuart,

Thank you for your quick reply. The I2S protocol that I want to decode is standard - as per the attached image. The specification allows various numbers of bits per frame. In my case, there are 32 bits for the left and right channel data - so 64 bits per frame.

The Picoscope software already provides serial decoding of I2S under the "Tools" menu, but it assumes a multi-channel 'scope as three signals need to be handled. My request is to extend the I2S serial decoding tool to allow use of the external sync input of the 5203 (or other two-channel 'scope) as the third input (in addition to the A and B channel inputs).

I shall send details of this request to support@picotech.com.

Kind regards,
Chris
Attachments
I2SBUS.png