Units display for measurement

Forum for discussing PicoScope version 6 (non-automotive version)
CoyoteDavid
Active User
Active User

Units display for measurement

Post by CoyoteDavid »

Can the measurement display show units? I am using a 5444B, and I setup a measurement to show DC Average voltage for a whole trace. I have attached a display that shows values as follows:
Channel: B, Name: DC Average, Value: -1.091 ..., Min -1.473 ..., Max 272.9 ..., and so on.
The problem is, for instance, with Max, is it 272.9 volts? Or maybe 272.9 millivolts? Of 272.9 microvolts? How do I get it to display the units?
Attachments
Display showing DC Average measurement with no units.
Display showing DC Average measurement with no units.

aarne

Re: Units display for measurement

Post by aarne »

Snap1.png
Snap2.png

CoyoteDavid
Active User
Active User

Post by CoyoteDavid »

Thanks. Turns out I already had the box checked for "Column Auto-width". To get it to display, I have to toggle it off and then back on again. Even if I save it as the startup settings when it is working OK, as soon as I close PicoScope and start it again, it is back to not showing the units.

So it appears that to get it to display units, I have to toggle the "Column Auto-width" off, and then toggle it back on again each time I start PicoScope!

aarne

Post by aarne »

And preferences.xml shows how? Maybe try to manually edit this file?
Snap3.png

CoyoteDavid
Active User
Active User

Post by CoyoteDavid »

I looked at the XML file, as you show, and it is set "True" already. Here are the lines:

Maybe you just can't use a font that big!

aarne

Post by aarne »

Basically, the font size should not be a problem.
Snap4.png
Sorry, maybe PicoScope support knows the right answer?

Martyn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Martyn »

Which version of the software are you using ?
Martyn
Technical Support Manager

CoyoteDavid
Active User
Active User

Post by CoyoteDavid »

I am using 6.8.11.20 with a Picoscope 5444B.

Martyn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Martyn »

There does appear to be an issue, a very subtle one, in the way that the settings/preferences are saved and then reloaded. I will report it to the team.
Martyn
Technical Support Manager

CoyoteDavid
Active User
Active User

Post by CoyoteDavid »

"Column Auto-width" off, then back on, I can sometimes get it back. It depends on what value is being displayed at the time. For example, If I look at a clock signal from a 25 MHz crystal, and set the measurement to show frequency for the whole trace, I get displays that are "25 MHz", or "25.01 MHz", or "24.99 MHz". These values show up 4 places, the "Value", "Min", "Max" and "Average". Usually, the units are displayed as "...", since they won't fit. If I toggle the "Column Auto-width" off, then on again, it appears that whatever is being displayed at the time I toggle it on sets the width of the column. If it happened to be on the "25 MHz" display, then the width is set very short, and it very quickly doesn't fit when the display changes to "25.01 ...". It is very frustrating, since there is lots of room to make the measurement displays wider, but no way to make them wider, so it always ends up cutting off the units display.

The only way I found to work around it is to turn off the "Column Auto-width" function, and manually set the width, which sort of defeats the purpose of the auto-width function. Seems that the software could set the auto-width based on using 4 significant digits and a decimal point. Then it would always fit, instead of fitting only till the next update.
-->
I still have a problem with the measurements display. It cuts off the units value. If I toggle the "Measurements" --> "Column Auto-width" off, then back on, I can sometimes get it back. It depends on what value is being displayed at the time. For example, If I look at a clock signal from a 25 MHz crystal, and set the measurement to show frequency for the whole trace, I get displays that are "25 MHz", or "25.01 MHz", or "24.99 MHz". These values show up 4 places, the "Value", "Min", "Max" and "Average". Usually, the units are displayed as "...", since they won't fit. If I toggle the "Column Auto-width" off, then on again, it appears that whatever is being displayed at the time I toggle it on sets the width of the column. If it happened to be on the "25 MHz" display, then the width is set very short, and it very quickly doesn't fit when the display changes to "25.01 ...". It is very frustrating, since there is lots of room to make the measurement displays wider, but no way to make them wider, so it always ends up cutting off the units display.

The only way I found to work around it is to turn off the "Column Auto-width" function, and manually set the width, which sort of defeats the purpose of the auto-width function. Seems that the software could set the auto-width based on using 4 significant digits and a decimal point. Then it would always fit, instead of fitting only till the next update.