Sampling rate setting problem on PS6 of 6403A

Forum for discussing PicoScope version 6 (non-automotive version)
Toni

Sampling rate setting problem on PS6 of 6403A

Post by Toni »

Hi,

Is it possible to specify the number of samples (sampling rate) that can meet the requirement?

Though I was told by the software itself that the actual number of samples could be different from the value I set, I still want the PC scope can capture as many samples as I need.

For example, if I set 2 million samples over 2 seconds time period, ideally, the sampling rate should then be 1 MHz and I am suppose to get 2 million samples in a 2-second time duration. But the actual sampling rate is 995 kHz and the scope only has 1,990,050 number of samples. I tried to increase the number of samples slightly, but the scope can capture either less or more than 2 million points.

So my question is if I need exactly 2 million points in 2 seconds, what should I do with the setting?

Thanks very much in advance. Cheers.

Toni

Martyn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Sampling rate setting problem on PS6 of 6403A

Post by Martyn »

The number of samples you request and the time duration on the screen will define how the software will set the scope. This will be based upon the actual sample interval settings that the hardware can support. If you select View->ViewPorperties you will get a screen showing the actual settings.

If you need further information please post a psdata file, File->Save->SaveCurrentWaveform, and we can explain why the values have been chosen.
Martyn
Technical Support Manager

Toni

Post by Toni »

Thanks for your reply, Martyn. :D

I've attached the raw file and screen shot here.

So current software setting is 2 million samples over 2-second time duration as can be seen in the first screen shot. And the hardware can actually capture only 1,990,050 samples. If my post-processing algorithm needs captured data in very high precision, do you mean it is not possible to have exactly 2 million samples no matter how I set up the scope? :roll:

Another problem is that there is a trigger delay here as shown in the second screen shot. The signal is about 35 us before the diamond pointer(trigger point), is there a way to compensate for this and keep the delay to zero?

Thanks again!

Martyn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Martyn »

Files received on our ticket system will continue the discussion there
Martyn
Technical Support Manager