Beta Release of PicoScope for Linux

Discussion forum for the Picoscope 6 Linux software
mario_
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Beta Release of PicoScope for Linux

Post by mario_ »

Hi,

The only thing that comes to mind is that you may have some inconsistencies in sources.list file. Just to be sure I have recreated indexes on repository.

Please remove any entries regarding picoscope from /etc/apt/sources.list (or any other file you put that information to) and use command from website instructions: http://www.picotech.com/linux.html

Code: Select all

sudo bash -c 'echo "deb http://labs.picotech.com/debian/ picoscope main" >/etc/apt/sources.list.d/picoscope.list'

jcottier

Post by jcottier »

Hi Mario, OK that worked fine thanks. All installed and working in demo mode now. I just need to order my scope now...

edtyler

Post by edtyler »

First of - GREAT JOB. I really hated to have to drag out my WinXP laptop just to use my new MSO3206.

The install went perfectly on Fedora 19.

However, I do have a question. I see no way to access the analog channels on my MSO3206. How can I enable them?

Also, the DC offset in the AWG does not appear to function.

Thanks,
Dale

Martyn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Martyn »

Analog signals should be available from the Channel Options menu, Digital Channels are being worked on.

The AWG hasn't been implemented, but DC offset should be working on the standard SigGen signals.
Martyn
Technical Support Manager

jcottier

Post by jcottier »

Hi, I am using the PicoScope 3404B and I am struggling to find some features on the Pico 6 software :-

Measure windows for rulers, cant get these to appear. I can get the time ruler (shows frequency) window to appear, but that is all.
Analog input offset adjust, cant find the setting for that.
Persistence mode settings dialog, the button or menu item for that does not appear.
Measurements button or menu item.
Are these features still being worked on?

DylanHall

Post by DylanHall »

I've just installed PicoScope on my Linux Mint 16 laptop for the first time (this is also my first time using any PicoScope product).

Unfortunately the install scripts appear to have added my user account to the "pico" group but removed me from all the other groups I'd normally be part of. This has caused particular problems as I lost sudo rights which made it harder to fix.

I've had a dig through the Debian scripts and it looks like the postinst script calls "usermod -G" at some point to add the user to the "pico" group. I think that should be "usermod -G -a" so that it appends rather than replaces.

From the man page for usermod:

-G, --groups GROUP1[,GROUP2,...[,GROUPN]]]
A list of supplementary groups which the user is also a member of. Each group is separated from the next by a comma, with no intervening whitespace. The groups are subject to the same restrictions as the group given with the -g option.

If the user is currently a member of a group which is not listed, the user will be removed from the group. This behaviour can be changed via the -a option, which appends the user to the current supplementary group list.

Thanks for supporting Linux, this was one of the major reasons I chose this scope :)

Dylan

mario_
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mario_ »

Hi Dylan,

Well spotted, close, but issue is different. When release was made for SuSe and other rpm based flavors a regression has been introduced to postinstall script. Certain versions of 'usermod' don't have '-a' option, but all support '-G GROUP1,GROUP2' syntax. To be safe I've ported those changes to Debian scripts... with critical error :(

for USER_ITEM in $( echo "$RULE_ADD_USERS_LIST" );
do
    USER_GROUPS=$( groups "$USER_ITEM" | awk -F' ' -v pico="$PICO_GROUP" '{ for (i = 3; i < NF ; i++) if ( $i != $pico ) print $i }' | tr '\n' ',' | sed 's/,$//' )
    usermod -G "$PICO_GROUP"",""$PICO_GROUP" "$USER_ITEM" || true
done
should be

for USER_ITEM in $( echo "$RULE_ADD_USERS_LIST" );
do
    USER_GROUPS=$( groups "$USER_ITEM" | awk -F' ' -v pico="$PICO_GROUP" '{ for (i = 3; i < NF ; i++) if ( $i != $pico ) print $i }' | tr '\n' ',' | sed 's/,$//' )
    usermod -G "$PICO_GROUP"",""$USER_GROUPS" "$USER_ITEM" || true
done
Apologies for the inconvenience this bug may have caused.

DylanHall

Post by DylanHall »

Thanks for figuring out this issue, I look forward to the next release :)

Dylan

greg
PICO STAFF
PICO STAFF

Post by greg »

hi jcottier,

Rulers, Analog input offset adjust, and the Persistence mode settings dialog are being worked on, and will be available in a future release.

Measurements can be added/deleted with the buttons on the trigger (bottom) toolbar (Scope/Spectrum mode only).

jcottier

Post by jcottier »

@DylanHall
Hi Dylan / mario_,

So thats why my sudo membership disappeared to !! (Ubuntu 12.04) It seemed so random, I did not connect it with the picoscope install. Well its a relief to know it was not due to a meltdown of somekind anyway.

Regards John.

mario_
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mario_ »

Hi All,

The new release is now out. Besides fixes to permissions setup in postinit scripts, it brings handful of new features:
  • MSO channels support
  • Analog offset and bandwidth filters in channel properties
  • Rulers*
  • New properties window for persistence mode
* Rulers come with certain bug - after setting initial ruler the focus is lost and second one doesn't come up. To workaround this first bring rulers pop-up into focus by clinking on it, then click back on the graph - second ruler will be possible to use now.

The main package requires additional dependency (libmono-system-runtime-serialization4.0-cil), simple 'apt-get upgrade' will keep it back. To install new version run the following:

apt-get update
apt-get install picoscope

jcottier

Post by jcottier »

The new version works fine on Ubuntu 12.04 (32 bit). However after a few seconds, the process "mono" maxes out the CPU cycles and the CPU fan starts to crank up noisily.

totalkrill

Post by totalkrill »

Just wanted to drop in and say thank you! Software works great on ubuntu 13.10. Only wish that i could change the background and signal colours. Using a 2204a picoscope.

mario_
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mario_ »

Hi All,

We have just put another version of PicoScope for Linux. This one is to address cpu usage issue mainly. Also new feature has been added - trigger controls for MSO channels.

Regards,
Mario

jcottier

Post by jcottier »

Thanks mario_ thats great. CPU is down to about 10 to 20 % for mono now.

Regards

John.