Cannot connect to wireless USB server

Having problems ? let us know the details here
subkron

Cannot connect to wireless USB server

Post by subkron »

I have an application where I want to make your scope (a loaner right now) very portable by connecting it to a USB wireless device server from Silex (SX-DS-3000WAN). When I connect the scope to the USB server Windows (64-bit) Device Manager identifies the scope correctly as a PicoScope 3000 series PC Oscilloscope. However when I bring up the PicoScope application it cannot find the device.

If I plug the scope direclty into the PC's USB port the application works fine.
If I plug in any other USB device (multiple thumb drives, emulators, programmers, etc.) the Silex device provides a seamless interface to the PC.

I think if this works this would be a great feature to extend your scope into a very portable application without any wires at all.

Please help, I want to purchase this scope but if I cannot get the data through the Silex adapter I will need to find other methods to get scope data wireless out of a device.

In advance...Thanks

Martyn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Cannot connect to wireless USB server

Post by Martyn »

Seeing the device in the Silex software, or device manager, is the first stage of the process. It will be the second stage communication between our driver and the Picoscope hardware that is failing.

Does it also fail when using the device on a wired link rather than wireless ?

Can you contact support@picotech.com as there are system files that may give an indication as to where the problem is.
Martyn
Technical Support Manager

subkron

Post by subkron »

Unfortunatly I needed to return the loaner scope.

I did however get it to work flawlessly with an IO Gear GUWIP204 wireless hub. Exactly the same setup, just different USB hub.

Regarding the Silex device, it still failed when I had the Silex interface using the wired port or the wireless port. It would be nice if Pico Technology developers got hold of a Silex unit and got the two devices to play nicely togther (driver change?).

Martyn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Martyn »

We have tried a few different wireless devices without success so it is good to know one that works, so thank you for that information.

Changing the drivers to work with a specific device would not be feasible for us, it may prevent them working in other situations.
Martyn

subkron

Post by subkron »

I guess rather than changing the exiting driver (which may break the one that works) I would adocate developing another driver. You can then allow a means for a user to install any particular driver based on their application. There aren't that many usb wireless hubs out there and this would give users some options.

Thanks

Martyn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Martyn »

I'll put it on the wish list.
Martyn

BDR
User
User

Post by BDR »

I am also interested in getting the picoscope to work wirelessly. If I could get a direct feed of raw data through a wireless link at a lower data rate to get an idea of what the scope seeing. Then initiate a larger sample in block mode to be downloaded a little slower afterwards. The main reason for purchasing this scope is for a wireless application through a 6404D. One idea is to get an intel nuc computer attached to the picoscope and then connect the two PC's. Have all the software on the NUC and the controller on a wireless link to a laptop.

The weight limit will be my issue if I have to attach a computer to the picoscope, so I would rather not.

I was going to attempt the USB to ethernet, but it looks like there is difficulty here as well.

Martyn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Martyn »

Currently the IO Gear GUWIP204 wireless hub is the only method we have found to successfully connect our devices remotely.
Martyn

BDR
User
User

Post by BDR »

I saw that in some earlier posts. The range and speed of this device will not suffice.

I have been in contact with Cisco to see if they will work on it. If I get a working test set up, I will be sure to post something.