Pico Logger Freezes TC-08 USB

Forum for discussing PicoLog
PSUeng

Pico Logger Freezes TC-08 USB

Post by PSUeng »

Hello,

I have recently bought a TC-08 USB Pico Logger and am trying to use it on a Toshiba Satellite Laptop, with Windows XP service pack 3. I have Pico Recorder software release 5.22.9 currently installed.

I have managed to successfully add the attached USB logger to the software and setup up each channel to read temperature. I can run the logger and watch the logged data be displayed in the graph window in real time, however at random times the Pico logger software will freeze, the graph window goes blank and the Pico recorder window with the temperature measurements freezes too.

When I click the end process button after highlighting plw32.exe in the processes tab of Windows Task Manager, the Pico Recorder program does not close. It is only when I physically unplug the TC-08 device from the laptop USB port that the software process is ended.

I am concerned that the TC-08 device I have just purchased is faulty, however I'm hoping this is just a software conflict being generated by my hardware setup.

Any help on how to resolve this issue would be much appreciated.

Hitesh

Re: Pico Logger Freezes TC-08 USB

Post by Hitesh »

Hi PSUeng,

This might be an issue with USB communication. The lockup occurs when you try to end the process because the driver has not closed the connection to the device.

What settings are you using? Are you using the supplied blue USB cable and is the device connected to a laptop or desktop?

If the latter, it might be better to use the rear USB ports. Are you using many USB devices on the PC?

Hope this helps.

PSUeng

Post by PSUeng »

The cable is grey that was supplied with the unit, I am using a Toshiba Settelite Pro Laptop on Windows XP SP3.

Yes at the same time as using the USB pico logger I am using a USB to GPIB converter to communicate with an Agilent 34970A DAQ for voltage monitoring. I also have a USB mouse connected.

I had to stop using the Pico logger in the end and I connected my thermo couples to the Agilent Data Logger instead.

I will need to figure out why this Pico Logger and software is crashing, I am guessing like you say it is a conflict with the hardware and software setup on this specific Laptop.

Hitesh

Post by Hitesh »

Hi PSueng,

The cable supplied should have been a blue Pico USB cable - please contact the vendor where you purchased the device from. If you purchased the unit direct from Pico Technology, please e-mail support@picotech.com

It's worth checking the USB Root Hub properties in the Windows Device Manager and verifying if the TC-08 and Agilent device are on the same root hub.

If so, connect the TC-08 on a different USB port.

Regards,

PSUeng

Post by PSUeng »

Hitesh wrote:Hi PSueng,
It's worth checking the USB Root Hub properties in the Windows Device Manager and verifying if the TC-08 and Agilent device are on the same root hub.

If so, connect the TC-08 on a different USB port.
Thanks I'll give it a go next time have a chance.

Regards.