Measuring pressure, temperature and force with a ADC-20

Come here to introduce yourself, who you are, and what you do
silhas

Measuring pressure, temperature and force with a ADC-20

Post by silhas »

Hi,

I'm currently investigating a hydraulic actuator and I'm trying to set it up in a test rig.
Unfortunately I don't have any experience in electrical components and would need some help with how to set everything up.

I got a ADC-20 High-Resolution Data Loggers, a terminalboard, a Instrumentation Amplifier with Precision Voltage Reference (INA125 from TI, http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/ina125.pdf) and my test equipment. What I need to do is connect a series of sensors (as mentioned in the topic) and then log it in my PC.

Now to the details:
I need to measure three types of parameters and want to connect them to the terminal board and then to the ADC-20. The ADC-20 is then connected to a PC where I'll log the data.
The sensor needed are:
1. Temperature: PT100 would suffice in temperature range.
2. Hydraulic Pressure: Got a hydraulic pressure transmitter (http://www.dartinstruments.com.au/image ... AH8253.pdf)
3. Force: A K-type for up to 200kN.
(At the moment, theese are some of the sensor i might have access to, and thus my first choice)

Questions:
1. Is the ADC-20 capable to handle all of this information?
2. I havn't decided on the voltage source, tho I have a 24V 1.5A DC. With the right resistors, will i be able to solder a working system?
3. Any suggestions on other sensors which will make the testing and setup easier?
4. Is it worth it getting another voltage source?

PeterF
Advanced User
Advanced User

Re: Measuring pressure, temperature and force with a ADC-20

Post by PeterF »

Hi,
To answer your questions:-
1. Is the ADC-20 capable to handle all of this information?
(Yes, that should not be a problem as long as the force is not applied quickly, the ADC-24 has a slow response time, up to 660ms per channel.)
2. I havn't decided on the voltage source, tho I have a 24V 1.5A DC. With the right resistors, will i be able to solder a working system?
(24V is fine if you are using 4-20mA powered sensors. if you are using bridge sensors or voltage output sensors, you will probably be better with a +10V supply.)
3. Any suggestions on other sensors which will make the testing and setup easier?
(4-20mA sensors are easy to set-up. PT-100 temperature sensors are not usable on the ADC-24, use thermistors instead.)
4. Is it worth it getting another voltage source?
(Yes, see above.)
Please contact me again if you have any other questions.
Regards,
PeterF.