Blockwise average

Post any questions you may have about our current range of oscilloscopes
Markus Mangold

Blockwise average

Post by Markus Mangold »

Hello

I have a new PS5244B oscilloscope and I am writing my own software in LabView using the dlls provided by pico technology. Currently, I try to transfer as much data as possible between the oscilloscope and the computer using rapid block mode. With a maximum data transfer rate of nearly 30 MByte/sec I am basically bus limited (USB2.0 HiSpeed).
For my real application, however, I do not need all the data that I acquire. In fact, I could greatly reduce the amount of data to transfer (and by this the dead time after acquisitions) if I could blockwise average the data on the oscilloscope and transfer only the averaged data. What I need is not the functionality provided by the downsampling modes in ps5000aGetValues. I want to collect a number of blocks and average all first samples, all second samples, and so on... Is it possilbe to do such an averaging on the scope before I transfer the data?

Thanks for the help.
Regards, Markus

Hitesh

Re: Blockwise average

Post by Hitesh »

Hi Markus,

The driver does not provide such a feature, You would have to transfer the data and post-process it to average the data as per your requirement.

I will put forward your request as a feature enhancement.

Regards,

Markus Mangold

Post by Markus Mangold »

Hi Hitesh

Thanks for your answer. For us, this feature would be a major improvement since we always acquire a big number of blocks which will be averaged. When you put forward such a request, is this a question of weeks or years until the feature is available? :roll:

Regards, Markus

Hitesh

Post by Hitesh »

Hi Markus,

It's something to be considered for the future but unfortunately not for the new PicoScope 5000 series as it would involve considerable work.

You would really have to post-process the data in LabVIEW.

Best wishes,

Markus Mangold

Post by Markus Mangold »

Hi

I'm still interested in on-scope blockwise averaging as asked for 2 years ago. Has this been implemented in any of your scopes meanwhile?

Cheers, Markus

Hitesh

Post by Hitesh »

Hello Markus,

Sorry to say this, but at this moment in time, this feature has not been implemented in any of our oscilloscope products.

I believe that the feature is still of interest so it is worth keeping looking at new product releases in the future to see if it has been implemented.

Regards,