question about possible use of ADC-11 for sleep monitoring

Which product is right for your exact requirements
chjoaygame

question about possible use of ADC-11 for sleep monitoring

Post by chjoaygame »

Dear Pico Salesman or Saleswoman,

I wish to try some sleep monitoring. I am wondering if I can use the ADC-11 for the recording of several analogue data channels. The heaviest sampling will be from one or two channels of electro-oculographic nystagmogram, got from differential pre-amplifiers. Each channel would want perhaps 1 kS per second. The problem that worries me is that I want to record perhaps 8 or 12 hours of near-continuous data. Interruptions to start a new file every few seconds would be no problem. The repeated starting of the new files would have to be completely automatic, that is to say, it would happen entirely under machine control without the operator doing anything but starting the process once, and probably stopping it after the 8 or 12 hour recording session. A record of the real time when the data was acquired would also be needed. Another question is whether the Pico software will generate files that can be read by video moving picture software such as ULead or Pinnacle Studio 9, so that the video moving picture could be shown on the same screen as the nystagmogram, in nearly the real time relations.

Sarah

Post by Sarah »

Hi

Thank you for your post.

It might be possible to use our ADC-11 for your application. This is an 11 channel logger and has an input voltage range of 0 to 2.5V so you would need to ensure that your inputs were within this range.

The software will enable you to log and to start new files after a certain number of samples so that the files did not become too large. You could then view the data as raw values or in graph format, however you could not get it to "play back". If you wished it to be shown in sync with something else then you would need to set this off yourself as the software would not be capable of supporting this itself.

You could record at 1kS/s, however you could not use more than 10 channels on the logger. The ADC-11 splits its 10kS/s sampling ability between the available channels so the more channels you have the more limited you are in sampling speed.

Hope this helps

Best Regards

chjoaygame

thanks for reply. and more questions

Post by chjoaygame »

Dear Sales reply person,

Thank you for this very helpful and prompt reply.

I would want only perhaps one, two or three 1 kS per second recording channels. I would want perhaps some other channels for which lower frequencies like 1 S per second would do well. Does the system allow various sample rates for different channels in the one recording session?

Would the one-by-one file-by-file playback graph format be able to be exported from the Pico software as files that a video program could read and screen as a video image? Can you suggest how I might get the output into format that a video show program could read?

Sarah

Post by Sarah »

Hi

Thank you for your post.

Unfortunately it would not be possible to set different sampling rates for different channels on the ADC-11.

The graph will nto allow you to "play back" the results, you would have to scroll through them yourself. You can export the data from the spreadsheet and therefore use it in Excel or a similar program. It is possible to have all the data in a text file so you might be able to interface this with a video program.

Hope this helps

Best Regards

chjoaygame

my rreply to your answer to my second question

Post by chjoaygame »

Thank you for this helpful reply. The sampling rate question is simply answered. The interface to another playback program seems as if it would take some programming to achieve.