3206 and USB problems (unrecognized device)

Post any questions you may have about our current range of oscilloscopes

3206 and USB problems (unrecognized device)

Post by Guest »

When I plug in the 3206 to the USB port, Windows XP Pro tells me that it's an unrecognized USB device. It doesn't matter what port it's plugged into. It doesn't try to re-install the software as previously posted, it simply doesn't recognize the 3206. The LED on the 3206 doesn't light up either.

cbrumley
User
User

Not from a guest...

Post by cbrumley »

I posted the above. It's not from a guest user, I wasn't logged in. :oops:
-Coleman

cbrumley
User
User

Corrected...

Post by cbrumley »

I had the power supply connected to the 3206, as well as the USB cable. My (invalid) assumption was that the 3206 needed external power, not from the USB power. There's not contradictory indication elsewhere. There is a passing reference to it under the specifications in the electronic help file.

What is the exernal supply for?
-Coleman

Sarah

Post by Sarah »

Hi

Thank you for your post. I am sorry to hear that you have been seeing problems.

The external power cable is for use with some USB ports which may not be able to provide enough power for the unit. This more common with laptops than with desktop PCs. The unit should usually run without problems from the USB port.

Are you still seeing problems? If you try installing the unit on another computer, does this work?

Try using the unit on a different computer and see if it will work on here. Let me know what happens.

Hope this helps

Best Regards

cbrumley
User
User

Post by cbrumley »

Hi, thanks for the response.

I'm using a laptop (Dell Inspiron 8500) and the 3206 is connected through a powered USB 2.0 Hub.

I'm no longer seeing issues since I disconnected the external power supply.

One test I did was to disconnect the power from the USB hub, and with the external power supply the 3206 powered the Hub!
-Coleman

tomford

Same problem

Post by tomford »

I had the same problem (HP dc7100 PC) but disconnecting the external power fixed it - thanks!