Externally triggered AWG burst (shots).

Post your LabVIEW discussions here
christianbaker

Externally triggered AWG burst (shots).

Post by christianbaker »

Hello,

(PS4226, LabVIEW 2012)

I'm making something that, on receipt of an external trigger signal into chB, will fire a burst of N cycles (shots) from the AWG and simultaneously acquire data from chA (at the moment I've just got the AWG output wired straight into chA).

If I set the AWG trig type to 'none' and shots to zero, then it works OK and I acquire my AWG signal from chA. But with trig type set to 'Scope Trigger' and shots set to a positive number, then I just get noise on chA.

Any idea what the problem is? Here's what the VI does at the moment:

*SETUP*
OpenUnit
GetUnitInfo
SetChannel
SetChannel
SetSimpleTrigger
SetSigGenBuiltIn
*ACQUISITION*
GetTimebase
MemorySegments
SetNoOfCaptures
RunBlock
IsReady
*THIS IS WHEN THE EXTERNAL TRIGGER FIRES*
SetDataBufferBulk
SetDataBufferBulk
GetValues
CloseUnit

Thanks,

Christian.

Hitesh

Re: Externally triggered AWG burst (shots).

Post by Hitesh »

Hi Christian,

It's not possible to set up a trigger on Channel A and on Channel B for the AWG.

I would suggest setting up the scope so that it triggers on the External input for the AWG and triggers on Channel A for your data.

If you need the signal being used for the External trigger on Channel B then you can always split the signal.

I hope this helps.

christianbaker

Post by christianbaker »

Hi Hitesh,

Thanks, I've tried what you suggested but it didn't majke a difference. In fact, I've realised that it's nothing to do with trying to use the scope and AWG simultaneously - it's just that I can't get triggered shots to work at all.

I've attached a zip containing a VI called AWG_tester.vi in which does the following:

1) Connect to picoscope
2) Setup picoscope AWG (using VI supplied in picotech's .llb)
3) wait for quit button press, then disconnect

It's only a really simple VI so you'll need to enter AWG settings into the front panel before running the VI. Just as above, if I set trigger source to 'none' then run the VI, I get continuous output from the AWG. However, it I set trigger source to 'Ext' and 'shots' to '5' then run the VI, and then send a trigger signal into the Ext input, I get nothing out of the AWG when I would expect 5 cyles.

Hitesh

Post by Hitesh »

Hi Christian,

I've been made aware that the trigger options for the signal generator have not been implented for this device and the PicoScope 4227.

I have put in a request for this feature to be implemented and will let you know once there has been an update.

Thanks,

christianbaker

Post by christianbaker »

Oh that's a shame. Guess it doesn't matter that I forgot to attach my VI then!

Thanks,

Christian.

Hitesh

Post by Hitesh »

Update:

We're waiting for the driver to be updated and tested.

Thanks,