I'm trying to use some ADC42's I bought several years ago but I had a problem with setting the PicoLog to run in multiple converter mode using two of your USB/parallel port adapters. Initially I was able to setup the software with two ADC42's and two USB adapters and get two sensible traces, however after a short while the software froze and I was unable to restart it.
I uninstalled then reinstalled the software but from then on whenever I set it to use multiple devices (two ADC42's) I get two sets of data but the data sets are from the same probe. I tried updating the software to version PicoLog r5.22.8 but the result were the same.
The two converters with USB/parallel port adapters are set to use USB-PP1 and USB-PP2 respectively.
The PC operating system is Windows XP Pro SP3 fully updated.
Pico Software and Reference CD - R38 release 5.20.1
I have now uninstalled the Pico software again and run NirSoft RegScanner to look for leftover items within the registry. The search, which was for any entry containing ‘pico’ highlighted, several entries specifically relating to the Pico software.
Please can you advise the best way to correct this problem so that I can successfully reinstall PicoLog & PicoScope and use then.
I have saved the NirSoft RegScanner report, which hopefully is attached. The report ihas been converted to and saved as a Microsoft Excel spreadsheet. The entries in the document are colour coded as follows:
Text in black - the entries may relate to PicoLog etc.
Text in blue - the entriesy appear to relate to PicoLog etc.
Text in red - the entries do not appear to relate to PicoLog etc and are hidden within the document. These entries can be unhidden using the 'Unhide' function within your spreadsheet software.
For and on behalf of G&C Contracting.
Tel: 0118 981 3079
Mob: 07767 476 396.