I am using a 3406B Picoscope. When I turn on any resolution enhancement with the requested number of samples set to greater than 2M samples, it immediately changes the requested number of samples down to 2M. If I put it on auto trigger, and have the traces running, it will let me change the number displayed in the requested samples box to as high as I want, but it will always use less than 2M samples. Then if you hit STOP, or START, or almost any other control, the requested number suddenly changes back to 2M samples. The instructions say that you should increase the number of samples to offset the effect of the filtering, but don't say anything about Picoscope limiting the number of samples available when using resolution enhancement.
To recreate, do the following:
1) Setup single channel A, default setup watching compensation signal at 2 ms/div
2) Set samples to request 10M samples (I get 10,000,005 samples)
3) Open channel A menu and select 8.5 bits resolution
4) The requested samples immediately changes to 2 MS, and it uses 1,250,005 samples.
5) Now try increasing the number of requested samples. The control lets you change the requested number in the box, but the actual samples remains at 1,250,005.
6) Hit any other control, like the AC/DC setting, A menu control, or any other meny button in the channel row, and the requested number reverts back to 2 MS. The actual samples remains at 1,250,005.
Another strange behavior, after this test, do the following:
1) Stop scope trace.
2) Set resolution back to to 8 bits
3) Set requested number of samples to >2M (like 10M samples for instance)
4) Open menu for channel A. ==> Requested samples immediately changes to 2M
In this case, you don't even have to change the requested number of samples, just hit the A channel menu and it immediately changes the requested number of samples.