trigger based on CAN bus decode

Forum for discussing PicoScope version 6 (non-automotive version)
maxiso

trigger based on CAN bus decode

Post by maxiso »

Hello,
I'm wondering if there is any way (I couldn't find any) to make the picoscope trigger with a certain data value decoded from a CAN bus (or any other serial protocol). For example, trigger with CAN-ID = 0x1, or with CAN-data = 0x12345678.
I'm not sure it would be possible to do by software, but it would be a very useful feature to add to PicoScope... we use this triggering capability in Tek oscilloscopes.
Thanks,
Max

Martyn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: trigger based on CAN bus decode

Post by Martyn »

The decoding of serial data is carried out in the software on the PC post collection, and not on the scope which would be required to trigger on specific data values.
Martyn
Technical Support Manager

alan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by alan »

Martyn is correct in that we do not have a hardware based CAN bus trigger but for many applications the huge memory of PicoScopes allows a different approach which is to collect all the data, decode and effectively trigger in software.

This can be done using the "start from" option in the "in window" display.

bennog
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by bennog »

Max,

This is on my ToDo list, decoding CAN in real-time with the SDK and apply various triggers, and then save as .psdata file.
Providing the scope can stream continuous data with a sample rate at least 5-10 times the baud rate.
At the moment I am so busy I don't have time for this kind of fun thins.

This will probably somewhere in the summer.

Benno