Pico 3200 Wave Form Manager

Having problems ? let us know the details here
Hans de Vries
User
User

Pico 3200 Wave Form Manager

Post by Hans de Vries »

Hi,
I have recently acquired a PicoScope 3204B Oscilloscope for the purpose of using the AWG to output a waveform signal according to the equation:
y=sin(x)+0.3*(sin(x*2)+sin(x*3)+sin(x*4)+sin(x*5)+sin(x*6)+sin(x*7)+sin(x*8)+sin(x*9)+sin(x*10)).
The maximum frequency of the AWG is 100 kHz, hence I have set x=10 kHz (the Waveform dialog uses the symbol 'A' instead of 'x'). The fundamental is a normal sine. The arbitrary waveform looks like a sawtooth that goes through zero at 0, 180 and 360 degrees and shows 11 bumps.

The PicoScope has been downloaded from the CD into a Windows 8 laptop that is not connected to the internet in order to keep it free from virusses.

I have got some problems...

Connected the AWG Output to Channel A and also monitored Channel A by a separate DSO.

Clicked Tools [to] Math Channel [to] Create {sin(A)} and loaded as 'last one sine' [to] OK.

Clicked AWG [to] Arbitrary [to] Import [to] Select 'last one sine' [to] OK. Appearance on screen: black square wave, frequency 1 kHz (same frequency, but 2.3 Vpp, as the blue square wave (2 Vpp) in the background) The DSO monitored a square wave at 2 Vpp. Hence 'last one sine' was not output by the AWG.

To check: clicked on Library [to] Documents [to] Waveforms [to] Math Channel [to] Open 'last one sign'. Message: File not found.

Problems:
1. 'last one sine' appears as a square wave in black with a peak-to-peak voltage of 2.35 V, together with a channel A square wave trace of 2 Vpp; the DSO displayed a 2 Vpp square wave
2. 'last one sine' appears to be lost in the system: I can not recover it.

Can you shine your light on these problems, please?

Once they has been resolved I intend to gradually build up files of harmonics of the fundamental wave to check if PicoScope can create a fundamental sine plus up to ten harmonics (i.e up to 0.3*(sin((fundamental)*10))) at a low frequency, say 10 kHz. If that works all right then the frequency of the fundamental can be raised up to the value at which the 10th harmonic begins to show distortions. The aim is to sweep the fundamental from 400 kHz down to 20 kHz. At that point I should have sufficient information to decide on purchasing a more expensive version of PicoScope (as has been suggested to me at some point in the past), or consider something else.

Hans de Vries
User
User

Re: Pico 3200 Wave Form Manager

Post by Hans de Vries »

I have tried again to register an arbitrary wave form, following strictly the Help Menu...with no result.

Please can somebody help me out soon?

Hitesh

Re: Pico 3200 Wave Form Manager

Post by Hitesh »

Hi Hans,

Once you have a waveform from your Maths Channel, it is worth stopping the PicoScope 6 capture, then loading in the waveform into the Arbitrary Waveform Generator - you will need to reduce the samples or the software will reduce the data. The default option for the Signal Generator is a square wave so you might want to change it to Arbitrary Waveform Generator (AWG).

I think that the 'last one sine' has disappeared as you have not exported it to a file - click the 'Export' button once you have created the Maths Channel in the Maths Channels dialog. You can then import it when you start PicoScope again.

Hope this helps.