Changing SigGen settings during capture

Post general discussions on using our drivers to write your own software here
NickA62

Changing SigGen settings during capture

Post by NickA62 »

I have written some Matlab code that drives a pico 4226 as both test signal generator and data acquisition.

What I wanted to do was start a block mode data capture and then adjust the frequency / amplitude of the built in sig gen during the capture.

So (ideally)

%set sig gen to base frequency and amplitude
ps4000SetSigGenBuiltIn

%start scope capture
ps4000RunBlock (for a few seconds)

%change sig gen setting to new amplitude or frequency
ps4000SetSigGenBuiltIn

%grab the data
ps4000SetDataBuffer
%wait until the capture is complete
ps4000IsReady
%pull in the data
ps4000GetValues

The matlab program stops, whilst waiting for a response from the PicoScope, when the ps4000SetSigGenBuiltIn command is issued after the ps4000RunBlock command. It seems the PicoScope won't talk to matlab until it's finished acquiring data.

Is it actually possible to send a command to the AWG whilst running a block mode capture? Is so how?

Hitesh

Re: Changing SigGen settings during capture

Post by Hitesh »

Hi NickA62,

It won't be possible to change the AWG settings while the device is capturing data. You would have to call the ps4000Stop() function and then change the settings, then capture another block of data.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

NickA62

Post by NickA62 »

Hitesh,

Thanks for the confirmation of the problem. No solutions here then.

When combined with the AWGs minimum sinewave output of 0.5Vptp (I don't see why that can't be 0V) it looks like I'll have to shell out £2k for a NI digitiser and Labview to drive it. :(

Oh well, more toys to play with :)

Hitesh

Post by Hitesh »

Hi Nick,

Yes, there is a limit on the device for the ouput range of +/-250 mV to +/-2 V. It is device dependent so other devices like the PicoScope 2207 have an output voltage range of +/- 2V.

Regards,