PicoScope Drivers for Labview?

Post your LabVIEW discussions here
MikeSD

PicoScope Drivers for Labview?

Post by MikeSD »

I'm wondering about the "drivers" for Labview. I have used LabView before and before I could connect to an instrument, I had to "install" instrument drivers for the instrument to be used. But with the PicoScope, when I download the "drivers and examples" there doesn't seem to be any drivers or installation required.

When I use MAX and serarch for instruments, it says none connected. However, the examples work ok.

So my questions are:

1) Are there actually "device drivers" required for PicoScope, for use with Labview?
2) If there are, why isn't there a specific "install" operation?
3) Why doesn't MAX find the instrument, if it's working ok on the examples?

Can someone explain this "driver" issue, with regards to using PicoScope with LabView?

Thanks,

Martyn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: PicoScope Drivers for Labview?

Post by Martyn »

To access one of our scopes from LabView you do need a driver file. This file will be the generic Windows driver used by our own software and other example code, for example ps3000a.dll for the new 3000 series scopes.

It is accessed through function call blocks in Labview directly within the vi's. Open any of the example and look for the OpenUnit block, or any other of the driver API function blocks, take a closer look and you should see how it is done.
Martyn
Technical Support Manager