using multiple Picolog 1216 on same PC

Post any questions you may have about our current range of USB data loggers
richardgriffin

using multiple Picolog 1216 on same PC

Post by richardgriffin »

I've put together some test equipment using Picolg 1216 and a Windows XP computer. It runs from an Excel workbook using VBA macros to trigger the test event via a digital output and collect data through USB to the spreadsheet.

Everything works well but the user now wants two of them working on one PC, independently. The proposal is Test Unit A connected to excel program A running on the PC Desktop in one window, with Test Unit B connected to excel program B running on the PC Desktop in another window, simmultaneously. Test Units A and B will connect to two USB ports. The user will click on the icon for the window they want to use which will give access to the chosen Test Unit and the Excel program will appear on the screen and allow the correct unit to be used. Excel programs A and B are identical in as many ways as possible.

Two Questions:
a) is this possible or should I look at another approach (eg one excel program with different worksheets for the different analysis and operating macros.

b) can anyone give me hints or tips on distinguishing between the connected units when I set the system up?
i.e. how does the particular program find it's own Picolog on any of the USB ports connected?

Hitesh

Re: using multiple Picolog 1216 on same PC

Post by Hitesh »

Hi Richard,

It should be possible to connect to the devices independently with two instances of Excel.

Unlike the newer oscilloscopes, the PL1000 API doesn't allow you to specify the serial number of the device to open, so you will have to take the unique handle value of the device that is returned from the 'pl1000OpenUnit' function and then make a call to the 'pl1000GetUnitInfo' to find the serial number for the device.

You can then use this information to determine if it is the device to use with the macro.

The alternative is to plug one device in, then start one application, then repeat the process for the other.

I hope this helps.

Regards,