Persistance-Mode: Use more than 200 ms?

Post any questions you may have about our current range of oscilloscopes
sevenstax

Persistance-Mode: Use more than 200 ms?

Post by sevenstax »

Hello,

we experience a restriction in using the 'Persistance' mode of the PicoScope4227. We already scanned the manual, help and this forum, but we did not find any solution.

Measurement conditions:
- we like to use a long time scan to search for some glitches
- the signal is of a 1 Hz-SquareWave-Signal (500 ms/on).
- the signal commonly is accurate to about +/-10 us(!)
- the signal sometimes seems to have a glitch of about +/- 100 ms(!)
- the glitch occurs about 3..5 times in a hour

The Problem:
- the signals period is 1 sec.
- but the max. PicoScope display width in 'Persistance Mode' is 200 ms
- so we are able to trigger e.g. the rising edge
- but we are not able to SEE the falling edge (and vice versa)
- so we are not able to see the glitch :-/

So our questions are:
A) Does anybody have a hint for us, how we can solve the measurement problem with the PicoScope4227?
B) Perhaps there is an adequate setting, which EXTENDS the Persistance-Display-Width to >200 ms?
C) Any other advice?

Thank you for your support!
Ralf
SEVENSTAX GmbH, PicoScope 4227

alan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Persistance-Mode: Use more than 200 ms?

Post by alan »

Hi,

The persistence mode is really best for when you want to collect 1000s of waveforms per second, as your signal is one second long that limits you to <1 capture per second.

For this application I would give the mask limit testing a try - see http://www.picotech.com/picoscope6-mask ... sting.html (there is a also a link to a video at the top of this page).

Mask testing can be combined with alarms to do all sorts of clever things including saving to disk with a time / date stamp every time the glitch occurs.

Please let us know if this works for you.

sevenstax

Re: Persistance-Mode: Use more than 200 ms?

Post by sevenstax »

Hi Alan,

thank you for answer, that's a good idea I will test it. I already saw the 'trigger-mask' feature, and I hope I can use combined with a triggered picture-save, so that this rarely glitch is automatic documented too.

But for my measurement problem, I've another solution: I now use a the reference signal of my 'glitched' signal (It's a PTP clock, with the same pulse width) as signal B and trigger to signal B. I now can use a very narrow (high resolution) timebase (100 µs/Div) in the persistence mode and can see the variation and glitches.

Thank you for your support!
Ralf
SEVENSTAX GmbH, PicoScope 4227