startup with same Picolog settings

Forum for discussing PicoLog
victor

startup with same Picolog settings

Post by victor »

For easy use of picolog recorder at clinics, I would like the picolog recorder always to start with the same settings. The settings file is saved as settings.pls and the target location of picolog recorder is as follows:
"C:\Program files\Pico Technology\Pico full\plw32.exe"
Can you please help me to enable this and where shall the settings file be located?

Hitesh

Re: startup with same Picolog settings

Post by Hitesh »

Hi victor,

You can use command line or create a batch file to start PicoLog Recorder with a specific settings file.

Please refer to section 3.12 Run multiple recorders in the PicoLog User manual http://www.picotech.com/document/pdf/plw.en-3.pdf if you have not created your own settings file yet, and also for the command line entry. You can ignore the instructions to create a second settings file.

I would advise saving your settings file elsewhere on your PC such as a folder called C:\PicoLog\Settings

To create a batch file:
  • Create a text file and add the following entries:

cd "C:\Program Files\Pico Technology\Pico Full\"
    START plw32.exe "C:\PicoLog\Settings\settings.pls"
    pause
  • Save the file with a .bat extension
  • Double-click the file to start the application.
Regards,

olepagh
User
User

Post by olepagh »

This is what I did (in XP and older systems). There may be other ways.

- Make your settings.pls read only with the File Explorer.
- Right click settings.pls and choose "Open With".
- Select "C:\Program Files\... \ PLW.exe
- Check "Always use this program to open..." (Or what it is called in the English language (mine is Danish))
- End the dialogues with OK.

Now when you double click at the "Setting.pls" that now has become a small Pico icon, PicoLog will always start with the settings that it had before you made it "read only".

The backside is that if you wish to change some parameters permanently, you have to make the PLS read only file writeable before you open it.

This is maybe a very unauthorized method, but it works for me.

Usually I do minor modifications (e.g. changing formula or constants) direct in the .pls file by means of a Text editor, but I think that Pico do not approve that, as just one small error may cause the PLW.EXE to crash fairly easy.
If you try that: Always keep a back-up of the original settings file.
/ Best regards
Ole
Denmark

meegdes

Post by meegdes »

Good morning,

I would like to run multiple logging recorders at once, when using 1 TC-08. I hereby want to use 2 Thermoelements for one furnace and two other thermoelements for an other furnace.
If I follow the instructions as described in 3.12 of the handbook, I get a failure notice from Windows (XP) and if I use the .bat solution I get a failure notice that the TC-08 has lost contact with PicoLog.

Does anyone have a solution to my problem?

With kind regards,

Marcel Meegdes

Hitesh

Post by Hitesh »

Hi,

This has been answered in the following post: http://www.picotech.com/support/post29523.html#p29523

MikeMcc

Post by MikeMcc »

Hi,

I'm using PicoLog and a humidprobe to monitor a lab environment to resolve issues with an incubator. I can get the PicoLog software to autostart using the -r "pls filename" switch added to a shortcut in the All Users\Startup folder. Is there anyway to start it up minimised as well?

I have tried a batch file too using the START /MIN command line, but it wouldn't start with that as I couldn't get it to recognise the -r switch.

Thanks

Mike

Martyn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Martyn »

Right Click on the shortcut, select properties, and then change the value for Run
Martyn
Technical Support Manager

MikeMcc

Post by MikeMcc »

Many thanks, all sorted now